About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Math Connects Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the multi-step equations and inequalities topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Commutative and associative properties
- The definition and examples of additive property
- Multiplicative identity property and multiplication property of zero
- How counterexamples are used in math
- The use of the distributive property
- How to simplify algebraic expressions
- Collecting similar terms on one side of an equation
- Using inequality and equality properties to answer multi-step equations
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
2. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
3. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
4. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
5. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Connects: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 1: Rational Numbers and Percent
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 2: Real Numbers and Monomials
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 3: Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 5: Expressions and Functions
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 6: Linear Functions and Systems of Equations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 7: Two- and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 8: Triangles and Transformations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 9: Units of Measure
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Statistics
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 11: Probability and Combinations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 12: Area and Volume