About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Expressions and Functions chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the expressions and functions topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The definition for a variable in algebra
- What an algebraic expression is
- How to evaluate simple algebraic expressions
- The definition for an ordered pair
- Formulas for arithmetic sequences
- Real-world applications of tables and graphs
- The process of translating graphs and tables into linear equations
- Key terms pertaining to functions
- How to create a function table
- How to identify different characteristics of functions
- How to graph basic functions
- How quadratic functions can be written
- What exponential functions are
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
6. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
7. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
8. Identify Where a Function is Linear, Increasing or Decreasing, Positive or Negative
Functions do all kinds of fun things. In this lesson, learn how to identify traits of functions such as linear or nonlinear, increasing or decreasing and positive or negative.
9. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
10. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Connects: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 1: Rational Numbers and Percent
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 2: Real Numbers and Monomials
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 3: Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 4: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 6: Linear Functions and Systems of Equations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 7: Two- and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 8: Triangles and Transformations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 9: Units of Measure
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Statistics
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 11: Probability and Combinations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 12: Area and Volume