About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Triangles and Transformations chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the triangles and transformations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- How similar triangles are determined
- Applying similar triangles to solve problems
- Examples of similar polygons
- How to build similar polygons
- Shadow reckoning
- What trigonometric ratios are
- Theorems and proofs of right triangles
- The Pythagorean theorem and its applications
- The types and properties of special right triangles
- How transformations in math occur
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
2. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
3. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
4. Constructing Similar Polygons
This lesson will teach you how to construct similar polygons, which are very useful in many quantitative fields. You'll learn that all of this has something to do with, of all things, snowflakes!
5. Trigonometric Ratios and Similarity
Where do terms like sine, cosine and tangent come from? In this lesson, we'll learn about how similarity with right triangles leads to trigonometric ratios.
6. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
7. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
8. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
9. Finding Distance with the Pythagorean Theorem
How much faster is it to cut the corners in a race around the block? In this lesson, review the Pythagorean Theorem, and figure out how to solve without a right triangle.
10. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
11. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Math Connects: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 1: Rational Numbers and Percent
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 2: Real Numbers and Monomials
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 3: Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 4: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 5: Expressions and Functions
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 6: Linear Functions and Systems of Equations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 7: Two- and Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 9: Units of Measure
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 10: Data Analysis and Statistics
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 11: Probability and Combinations
- Glencoe Math Connects Chapter 12: Area and Volume