About This Chapter
How It works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe Pre-Algebra's Tools of Algebra chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the fundamental algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Math problem setup
- Order of operations
- Word problem techniques
- Algebraic expressions and combining like terms
- Commutative and associative properties
- Counterexamples in math
- Ordered pairs
- Line graphs and scatterplots
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
2. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
3. Personalizing a Word Problem to Increase Understanding
When it comes to word problems, being able to personalize a word problem with more familiar situations will help you a lot in your problem solving. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can restate the word problem in terms you understand.
4. What is a Variable in Algebra?
Did you ever encounter something like a + b = c and wonder how all these letters snuck into a math problem? In this lesson, we'll learn about variables, as well as other parts of equations, constants and coefficients.
5. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
6. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
7. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
8. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
9. Plotting Points on the Coordinate Plane
If you'll be working with a graph, otherwise known as the coordinate plane, it's essential to understand how it works. This includes learning the parts of a graph, identifying points and plotting points.
10. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
11. Representations of Functions: Function Tables, Graphs & Equations
Functions show up in our daily lives more often than we realize. In this lesson, we will go over different ways of representing a function using function tables, equations, and graphs.
12. Scatterplots and Line Graphs: Definitions and Uses
After watching this video, you will be able to understand scatter plots and line graphs. You will also be able to use them to tell people a story about what you see and observe. You will also be able to read them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Operations with Integers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Operations with Rational Numbers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion and Similar Figures
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percent
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions and Graphing
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Powers and Nonlinear Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Distance and Angle
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Statistics and Probability
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 14: Looking Ahead to Algebra I