About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe Pre-Algebra's Surface Area and Volume chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the volume and surface area topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Three-dimensional shapes
- Volume and area of prisms, cylinders, pyramids, cones and spheres
- Identifying similar solids
- Calculations for missing measurements, area and volume of similar solids
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Prisms: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson and you will see that there are different kinds of prisms. You will also learn how to separate a prism into its various parts so you can easily find the surface area. You will also learn the formula for the volume.
2. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
3. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
4. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
5. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
6. Similar Solids: Definition, Properties, Area & Volume
The concept of similarity goes beyond similar triangles and includes similar solids. In this lesson the properties of similar solids is examined for the sphere and then extended for all other solids.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: The Tools of Algebra
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Operations with Integers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Operations with Rational Numbers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion and Similar Figures
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percent
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions and Graphing
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Powers and Nonlinear Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Distance and Angle
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Statistics and Probability
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 14: Looking Ahead to Algebra I