About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe's Looking Ahead to Algebra I chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the beginning algebra topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Polynomials, binomials, and quadratic equations
- Basic operations with polynomials
- Multiplying a binomial by a monomial
- Multiplying two binomials using the FOIL and area methods
- Dividing a polynomial by a monomial
- Determining greatest common factor
- Factoring polynomial expressions
- Solving quadratic trinomials by factoring
Glencoe Pre-Algebra is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are Polynomials, Binomials, and Quadratics?
What do polynomials, binomials, and quadratics have in common? What are their differences? How can you identify each of them? Watch this video lesson to find the answers.
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
3. Multiplying a Binomial by a Monomial
To multiply mathematical expressions with only one term (monomials) and mathematical expressions with two terms (binomials), you can use the distributive property of algebra. In this lesson, you will learn how it works.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
5. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
6. Dividing a Polynomial by a Monomial
In this lesson, learn about polynomials and monomials and the 3 simple steps you can use to divide a polynomial by a monomial. Then, you will get a chance to practice it yourself!
7. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. Factoring Polynomial Expressions
When it comes to factoring polynomials, there are several methods to choose from depending on what kind of polynomial you are looking at. Watch this video lesson to learn how to identify and use the appropriate method.
9. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: The Tools of Algebra
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Operations with Integers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Operations with Rational Numbers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion and Similar Figures
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percent
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions and Graphing
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Powers and Nonlinear Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Distance and Angle
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Statistics and Probability