About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Glencoe Pre-Algebra's Operations with Rational Numbers chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the rational number operations topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The relationship between fractions and decimals
- The definition and examples of rational numbers
- Comparing decimals, fractions and whole numbers on a number line
- Multiplication and division with fractions and mixed numbers
- Adding and subtracting like/unlike fractions and mixed numbers
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
2. Converting Decimals to Fractions (and Back)
In this lesson, learn how to convert decimals to fractions, and how to convert fractions to decimals. You will cement this knowledge in your mind by working through practice problems with both proper fractions and mixed numbers.
3. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
4. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
5. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
6. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
7. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: The Tools of Algebra
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Operations with Integers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 6: Ratio, Proportion and Similar Figures
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percent
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions and Graphing
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Powers and Nonlinear Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Distance and Angle
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Statistics and Probability
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 14: Looking Ahead to Algebra I