About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Ratio, Proportion and Similar Figures chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the ratio, proportion and similar figures topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Ratios, rates and proportions
- Unit conversions
- How to apply scale factors to similar figures' area, perimeter and volume
- Identifying and using similar triangles
- Dilations in math
Glencoe is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
3. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
4. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
5. Applying Scale Factors to Perimeter, Area, and Volume of Similar Figures
How do shapes change sizes yet retain their proportions and similarities to other shapes? In this lesson, we'll look at what a scale factor is and how to apply it. We'll consider scale factors with regards to three different aspects of similar shapes: perimeter, area and volume.
6. How to Construct and Interpret a Scale Map
This lesson will explain what a scale map is and how it represents two different things on the map expressed as a ratio. This lesson will also demonstrate the steps needed to create a scale map from any ordinary map.
7. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
8. Applications of Similar Triangles
Similar triangles are used to solve problems in everyday situations. Learn how to solve with similar triangles here, and then test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Pre-Algebra: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 1: The Tools of Algebra
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 2: Operations with Integers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 3: Operations with Rational Numbers
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 4: Expressions and Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 5: Multi-Step Equations and Inequalities
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 7: Percent
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 8: Linear Functions and Graphing
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 9: Powers and Nonlinear Equations
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 10: Real Numbers and Right Triangles
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 11: Distance and Angle
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 12: Surface Area and Volume
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 13: Statistics and Probability
- Glencoe Pre-Algebra Chapter 14: Looking Ahead to Algebra I