About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Understanding Psychology Sexuality and Gender chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the sexuality and gender topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Gender roles in society
- Diversity issues in the workplace
- Sexual harassment issues
- Gender differences: nature vs. nurture
- The impact of gender differences on social development
- Human sexual anatomy and physiology
- Sexual response phases
- Sexual behavior and masturbation
- Sexual orientation
- Violence against women and men
- Influences of sexual harassment and abuse on adolescent development
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual dysfunctions
Glencoe Understanding Psychology is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Sexism: Gender Differences and Contexts
Sexism and gender differences can be seen in several different contexts within most modern societies. This lesson covers institutional sexism in four general areas: the workplace, family life at home, politics, and the military.
2. Diversity Issues in the Workplace: Discrimination, Sexism, Ageism & More
As our world gets smaller, each workplace becomes more diverse. Understanding how to work with individuals from different backgrounds is important for a successful organization. We will address diversity issues in this lesson
3. Sexual Harassment and the Hostile Work Environment
Sexual harassment is a very real and sensitive issue in the workplace. In this lesson, we will discuss sexual harassment, what it means and what it can do to the work environment.
4. Gender Differences: The Nature Versus Nurture Debate
Are boys better in math and science courses than girls? Are girls better at activities like dance? Gender stereotypes are abundant in society. Are these stereotypes based on real differences or perpetuated opinions? This lesson focuses on gender differences and the influence of nature versus nurture.
5. Understanding the Impact of Gender Differences in Social Development
How does one's gender impact behavior and interactions with others? Research has shown that men and women interact differently in social settings and society has ideas for what is appropriate male and female behavior.
6. Human Sexual Anatomy & Physiology: Major Features & Functions
This lesson provides an important overview of the major male and female reproductive structures, functions, and hormones. We'll learn about everything from semen and testosterone to estrogen and the vulva.
7. Violence Against Women and Men: Definitions & Gender Differences
Some types of crime are especially painful due to their personal nature. This lesson discusses three forms of violence, including sexual assault, rape, and domestic violence. Definitions, basic statistics, and a discussion of gender differences are provided.
8. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
9. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
10. What Is a Sexual Dysfunction? - Definition, Phases & Types
What happens when an otherwise healthy adult can't enjoy sex? In this lesson, we'll look at the four phases of sexual activity and sexual dysfunctions that can occur in each phase. In addition, we'll look at some common causes of sexual dysfunction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Understanding Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 1: Introduction to Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 2: Psychological Research
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 3: Neuroscience and Behavior
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 5: States of Consciousness
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 6: Learning
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 7: Memory
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 8: Cognition and Language
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 9: Intelligence
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 10: Motivation and Emotion
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 12: Development
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 14: Health Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 16: Treatment of Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 17: Social Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Appendix: Statistics in Psychology