About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Understanding Psychology Neuroscience and Behavior chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the neuroscience and behavior topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- The scope of biological psychology
- Reasons for studying the brain and nervous system
- The central and peripheral nervous systems
- The sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
- The endocrine system
- Behavioral genetics
- Evolutionary psychology
- Parts of the brain
- Brain structures and functions
- The cerebral cortex
- The brain hemispheres
Glencoe Understanding Psychology is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Intro to Biological Psychology
What are the biological factors that affect our behavior? In this lesson, you'll take a look at biological psychology, which looks at the interplay between biological processes and mental states.
2. What is a Neuron? - Definition, Parts & Function
What are the parts of a neuron? You'll watch Neuron Garciaparra work up a sweat as he throws baseballs to demonstrate the structures and functions of the billions of neurons that reside in your body.
3. What is a Neurotransmitter? - Definition, Types, Function & Examples
How do our bodies communicate with our brains and vice versa? In this video, you'll see how neurons and neurotransmitters can be likened to billions of tiny baseball players engaged in a non-stop game of catch.
4. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
5. The Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems
In this lesson, you'll learn about two subdivisions of the autonomic nervous system - the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Watch as a hiker, Phil, runs away from a terrifying bear and see how these systems react to the impending danger!
6. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
7. Types of Studies in Behavioral Genetics: Twin, Family & Adoption
Are you destined to inherit your mother's penchant for collecting old postcards or your father's constant worry that something bad is about to happen? Find out with this lesson, which delves into the world of genetic and environmental behaviors and personality traits.
8. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
9. Brain Structures and Functions Part I
The brain's complexity can often be difficult to understand because it serves so many important functions. In this lesson, you'll get a little help from Nrr, the alien biologist, who will guide you through understanding the structure and functions of the human brain.
10. The Cerebral Cortex: Brain Structures and Functions Part II
Check out this video lesson to learn about the four lobes of the human brain - the frontal, parietal, occipital and temporal. You'll learn about the functions and processes of each region.
11. What is Neuroplasticity? - Definition & Examples
Is your brain preprogrammed and unchangeable or adaptive and malleable? As you watch this video, you'll explore how the brain, a more resilient and resourceful machine than any computer, responds to damage and new experiences.
12. The Brain Hemispheres: Left Brain/Right Brain Communication and Control
Ever heard of a split personality? How about a split brain? Well, we can't be sure about the personality one, but brains can be split in two! In this lesson, you'll learn that and much more on how the brain communicates within itself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Understanding Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 1: Introduction to Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 2: Psychological Research
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 5: States of Consciousness
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 6: Learning
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 7: Memory
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 8: Cognition and Language
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 9: Intelligence
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 10: Motivation and Emotion
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 11: Sexuality and Gender
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 12: Development
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 14: Health Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 16: Treatment of Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 17: Social Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Appendix: Statistics in Psychology