About This Chapter
Global Business & Environmental Ethics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The world-wide existence of business operations has created an ethical responsibility for business with regard to its effects on the global environment. In this chapter you will learn about the positive and negative aspects of the relationship between business and the environment. There are quizzes at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge and there is an instructor available to answer any questions. This chapter provides information on such topics as:
- What are current global environmental policies?
- Why government protection is necessary?
- How can business threaten the environment?
- What is sustainability?
- Why business should respect the environment?
|Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems||Get to know the ethical foundation for environmental protection.|
|How the U.S. Government Protects the Environment||Learn about governmental protections relating to the environment.|
|Costs & Benefits of Environmental Regulation||Explore the positive effects and drawbacks of regulation.|
|Incentive-Based Regulatory Approaches: Environmental Taxes & Tradable Permits||Learn how providing incentives for business helps the environment.|
|Environmental Factors of Business: Lesson & Quiz||Get the basics on internal and external environmental factors affecting businesses.|
|Businesses' Major Threats to Earth's Ecosystem||Examine the negative effects of business on the environment.|
|Environmental Impact: Society's Relationship and Issues||Discover how society affects the natural world.|
|Business Sustainability: Definition, Lesson & Quiz||Explore the concept of sustainability in business.|
|Stages of Becoming an Ecologically Sustainable Organization||See how businesses can co-exist with the environment.|
|World Trade Rules & Environmental Policies||Take a look at existing world trade and environmental policy.|
|Global Environmental Issues: Types and Treaties||Dig into various environmental issues that have worldwide repercussions.|
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. How the U.S. Government Protects the Environment
One of the most controversial areas of government policy today is environmental policy. In this lesson, you'll learn how U.S. government environmental policy is made and you'll be provided an overview of some major legislative acts.
3. Costs & Benefits of Environmental Regulation
Environmental regulation provides protection to society regarding environmental hazards. Economists continue to debate the costs and benefits of regulation on businesses. This lesson we will examine both some added costs and benefits of regulation and their impact.
4. Incentive-Based Regulatory Approaches: Environmental Taxes & Tradable Permits
An incentive-based regulatory approach aims to reduce environmentally-harmful pollutants by offering inducements to polluters who limit their emissions. Learn how environmental taxes and tradable permits are utilized to help protect the environment.
5. What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline
Environmental legislation is a collection of many laws and regulations aimed at protecting the environment from harmful actions. Learn about the National Environmental Policy Act and other environmental laws.
6. What Is Environmental Law? - Principles, Issues & Policy
Environmental law involves a series of laws, policies and procedures enforced by various agencies with the goal of protecting the environment. Environmental law often overlaps other laws to act as an extra layer of legal protection.
7. Environmental Factors of Business
Environmental business factors can affect the organization in their day-to-day operations. Management needs to carefully plan and take into account these factors when doing business.
8. Businesses' Major Threats to Earth's Ecosystem
Businesses are a major threat to the earth's ecosystem. Some businesses are not supporting sustainable development and are causing enormous damage to the earth's ecosystem. Let's take a look at the damage.
9. Environmental Impact: Society's Relationship and Issues
In this lesson, we will discuss global warming, pollution and loss of habitat. Learn how the burning of fossil fuels and the clearing of forests lead to global warming by increasing the amount of carbon dioxide in the earth's atmosphere.
10. Business Sustainability: Definition & Concept
Business success today depends not only on corporate earnings, but on a company's broader impact on people and the environment. Learn about the meaning and types of business sustainability in this lesson.
11. Stages of Becoming an Ecologically Sustainable Organization
The business community has an interest in reducing ecological damage. In this lesson, you will learn the stages through which firms progress as they become more sustainable.
12. World Trade Rules & Environmental Policies
Environmental policies help the environment by managing human activities. Learn how world trade rules and environmental policies relate to each other and the impact they can have on environmental protection in this lesson.
13. Global Environmental Issues: Types & Treaties
The following lesson defines and then discusses examples of global environmental issues, such as global climate change and pollution. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Business Ethics and Society: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Ethical Business Leadership
- Foundational Ethical Theories for Business
- Social Responsibilities of a Business
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Relationship Between Employer & Employees
- Ethical Issues in the Workplace
- The Ethics of Labor Relations
- The Ethics of Advertising & Marketing
- The Ethics of Privacy in Business
- Ethics in International Business
- Corporations & Stakeholders
- Business, Government & Society
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Business Ethics and Society Flashcards