About This Chapter
Global Business Management - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter teach managers about several aspects and considerations within the field of global business management. From handling interactions with employees around the world to understanding the effects of outsourcing and insourcing on careers, supervisors will learn about the following:
- HR needs of international employees
- Essential qualities and skills of international managers
- Cultural considerations in team building and business
- Advantages of diversity training in a global company
- Impact of globalization on careers
These lessons include not only entertaining videos developed by professional instructors but also transcripts that can be used as additional training materials. Employees have several opportunities to assess their understanding of the material through lesson quizzes and a chapter exam.
How It Helps
- Improves international HR skills: Managers working for a global business need to be aware of human resources issues that uniquely affect employees based in or from other countries.
- Emphasizes a global mindset: Possessing a global mindset is vital for supervisors engaged in international business. This chapter's video lessons encourage this perspective by focusing on the characteristics and skills set of international managers.
- Ensures cultural sensitivity: To encourage good relations both in and out of the company, managers and employees need to recognize the importance of diversity training. By studying the theories and examples in these videos, they will comprehend how cultural awareness impacts business decisions and practices.
By the end of this chapter, professionals working in global business management should be able to:
- Understand HR considerations involving host, parent and third-country nationals
- Outline the responsibilities and functions of effective international managers
- Recognize how to build teams with multicultural members
- Explain how different cultural perspectives on business impact the global market
- Identify the characteristics of good diversity training programs
- Detail how technology has affected globalization and job security
1. Human Resource Interactions with Host, Parent & Third-Country Nationals
Employee relations are guided by human resource (HR) management professionals, and the global environment makes doing this more complex. In this lesson, we'll see how HR professionals interact with employees across the globe.
2. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
3. Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations
Managers need to be able to plan, control, organize, and lead their companies and departments. When we look at international business, there are some additional aspects that come into play for a manager to be successful.
4. Practical Application: Characteristics of Global Business Managers
Success in global business management requires specific skills. In this practical application, we'll look at some of the characteristics of global business managers and examine ways to become more aware of your strengths and challenges in that area.
5. How Teams Differ in a Global Setting
Different cultures view teams, or teaming, very differently. Those perspectives are compounded when there are multicultural teams present. This lesson will look at this issue in more detail.
6. Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions Theory
Dimensions of culture are an important aspect of international business. Knowing how cultures view different aspects of business can help a manager navigate through the international business market.
7. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
8. Globalization, Outsourcing & Insourcing: Impact of Technology on Careers
This lesson discusses the impact information technology has on careers. Globalization has been driven by advances in technology and has impacted job security and wages. We will specifically look at downsizing, insourcing and outsourcing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Understanding the Effects of Globalization in Business course