About This Chapter
Global Conflict & Developments Since 1945 - Chapter Summary
Different global conflicts and developments since 1945 are covered by this chapter. Increase what you know about economic and political changes in the world since WWII. Our lessons were designed to help you learn about:
- Economic and political reconstruction in Europe post-WWII
- The creation of Israel, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the Arab-Israeli conflict
- Independence movements following WWII
- The Chinese revolution
- Cold War conflicts, the Vietnam War and the fall of the Soviet Union
- The Iran-Iraq war
- Changes in religion, technology, society and politics since 1945
You can watch our video lessons for quick, engaging information about this period of history. We provide video timelines that allow you to easily find the subject you want to study. Additionally, it's simple to keep track of what you've learned with our self-assessment quizzes.
1. Economic Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: Recovery Programs & Their Effect
In this lesson, we explore the measures taken by the United States to aid its European allies in combating the severe economic depression in Europe immediately after World War II.
2. Political Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the political reconstruction of Europe in the years immediately following World War II and the splitting of Europe between capitalist and communist states.
3. The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts
In this lesson, we explore the movements and political developments that led to the creation of the state of Israel and the subsequent backlash from the Arab world.
4. Post-WWII Independence Movements Around the World: History & Examples
In this lesson, we explore the diverse and varied experience of decolonization in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa after World War II when Western Europe began to withdraw its claims to far away territory and colonies.
5. The Chinese Revolution and Creation of Taiwan: History & Timeline
In this lesson we explore the long struggle between the Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party before, during, and after WWII, and the subsequent creation of Taiwan after the communist victory.
6. Conflicts During the Cold War: Examples & Causes
In this lesson, we explore several of the world's conflicts in the second half of the 20th century that ended up becoming proxy wars between the United States and the Soviet Union in their Cold War standoff.
7. The Vietnam War: Causes, Conflicts & Effects
The Vietnam War was the longest and most polarizing conflict in the history of the United States. Learn about the causes of the war as well as its effects on the United States.
8. Fall of the Soviet Union and End of the Cold War: Causes & Timeline
In this lesson, we chart the reforms made by Russian premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempting to save the Soviet Union and the communist federation's eventual dissolution in 1991.
9. The Iran-Iraq War: Causes & Timeline
The Iran-Iraq War lasted from 1980 to 1988 and cost hundreds of thousands of lives. The conflict ended in a stalemate between the two nations, but highlighted the volatile nature of politics in the Middle East in the late 20th century.
10. The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: 1973-1993
After a failed 1973 attempt to reclaim land won by Israel in the Six-Day War, independent groups, such as the PLO, Fatah and Hezbollah, have promoted Palestinian goals. The first Intifada in the West Bank and Gaza was ended by the Oslo Accords.
11. Recent Developments of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
Despite the 2000 Camp David summit, peace remains elusive between Israel and Palestinians. Problems include a second Intifada, safety concerns from Hamas and Hezbollah, Israeli retaliations that harm civilians, and the Gaza blockade and tunnels.
12. Religion & Philosophy Since 1945
In this lesson, we explore some of the major developments in the world of ideas since the end of World War II, from the increased public engagement of professional philosophy and Catholicism to the growth of Islam.
13. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
14. Social & Political Developments Since 1945
In this lesson, we examine several social and political developments in the United States and in Western Europe since 1945, from the civil rights movement to the creation of the European Union.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP World History: Help and Review course
- AP World History - Foundational Concepts: Help and Review
- AP World History - Major Belief Systems: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Times: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Middle East: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient China, Africa, India & America: Help and Review
- AP World History - Ancient Greece: Help and Review
- AP World History - Hellenism and Athenian Philosophy: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Rise of the Roman Republic: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Fall of the Roman Empire: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Dark Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - Early Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Medieval Warm Period: Help and Review
- AP World History - The High Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - Asia, Africa & America (1000-1300 CE): Help and Review
- AP World History - The Late Middle Ages: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Age of Exploration: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help and Review
- AP World History - Imperialism: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Elizabethan Era: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Enlightenment: Help and Review
- AP World History - Political, Technological & Intellectual History: Help & Review
- AP World History - Colonialism: Help and Review
- AP World History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP World History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP World History - The Cold War: Help & Review
- AP World History - Major 20th Century Events: Help & Review
- AP World History - A Globalized World - 1980 & Beyond: Help and Review
- Portions of the AP World History Exam: Help and Review
- AP World History Exam Essay Writing: Help and Review
- Essay Writing Your AP World History Exam: Help & Review
- Empires & Inventions of the Ancient Near East
- Inter-Continental Organizations
- The First Global Age
- World Wars & Unrest
- Political Science Vocabulary & Concepts