About This Chapter
Global Implications of Organizational Behavior - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Today, large companies often operate in the global marketplace. This means they are doing business in various countries. While this allows companies to have a higher earning potential, it also opens them up to many problems. Problems can arise simply because of the cultural differences between countries. A company has to ensure the workers they hire in other countries feel at ease with the company's operation procedures. In this chapter, you will learn about the different considerations that need to be made and the different aspects of culture that can affect a global business. Some of the things you will learn about include:
- Job satisfaction
- Managerial functions
- Management characteristics
- Cultural conflicts
- Global setting
- Social loafing
|Job Satisfaction in Foreign Counties||Take a look at job satisfaction in countries outside the U.S.|
|How Emotions Differ Across Cultures||Compare emotions across cultures.|
|Managerial Functions in the International Organization||Find out about the characteristics of management functions in a global setting.|
|Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations||Study what characteristics a person needs to be the manager of a global organization.|
|Internationalization & Globalization of Businesses||See the ways a company can go international through joint ventures, strategic partnership and more.|
|Managing in International Companies||Learn about management in an international company and how they respond to political, legal, sociocultural, economic, and technological environments.|
|Cultural Differences in Negotiations and Conflicts||Discover the effect of culture in a global business setting.|
|How Teams Differ in a Global Setting||Take a look at how teams vary in a global setting.|
|Group Status, Social Loafing & Diversity in Global Groups||Study how cultural differences affect group work.|
|Globalization and Organizational Behavior||Examine the challenges a manger faces due to globalization.|
|Globalization and Organizational Structure||Find out about the effects of globalization on organizational structure.|
|Globalization and Organizational Culture||Explore how culture affects the way an organization operates in a different country.|
1. Job Satisfaction in Foreign Countries
Many of us strive for job satisfaction, the feeling we like our jobs and contribute to the company by doing them. Job satisfaction is important around the world, but it has nuances not present in the U.S. We will discuss this issue in this lesson.
2. How Emotions Differ Across Cultures
Every country and culture expresses emotions in different ways. This is a constantly growing issue for international organizations. In this lesson, we will describe some of these differences.
3. Managerial Functions in the International Organization
Every manager focuses on five different aspects of management. These aspects are common knowledge and when used together, they help to create an effective manager. This lesson will address those areas and integrate them into international business.
4. Characteristics of the International Manager in Global Organizations
Managers need to be able to plan, control, organize, and lead their companies and departments. When we look at international business, there are some additional aspects that come into play for a manager to be successful.
5. Internationalization & Globalization of Businesses
When companies decide to do international business, they have a wide variety of methods they can use to actually enter the market. This lesson will discuss those different methods and analyze how they work in an international context.
6. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
7. Cultural Differences in Negotiations and Conflicts
Different cultures have different views of the negotiation process. Sometimes these views cause conflict, and it is important to understand these different views when entering into a negotiation.
8. How Teams Differ in a Global Setting
Different cultures view teams, or teaming, very differently. Those perspectives are compounded when there are multicultural teams present. This lesson will look at this issue in more detail.
9. Group Status, Social Loafing & Diversity in Global Groups
Group status changes depending on culture, and as groups become more diverse, different perspectives and opinions will arise. In this lesson, we will address the issues of culture as it relates to group status, social loafing, and diversity.
10. Globalization and Organizational Behavior
As the world around us gets smaller, globalization will be in more areas and impact organizations. Organizational behavior is impacted by globalization and in this lesson we will discuss that aspect.
11. Globalization and Organizational Structure
Organizational structure can be influenced by many different aspects of globalization. In this lesson, we will explore organizational structure and the impact globalization can have on it.
12. Globalization and Organizational Culture
Culture influences almost every aspect of an organization. Globalization is one of the forces that influences organizational culture, and in this lesson we will talk about just how globalization impacts organizational culture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Organizational Behavior: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- The History & Evolution of Organizational Behavior
- Research Methods in Organizational Psychology
- Management Roles & Functions
- Overview of Individual Behavior
- Personality & Social Behavior in Organizations
- Emotions & Moods in Organizations
- Overview of Attitudes & Values in the Workplace
- Managing Workplace Stress
- Ethics in the Workplace
- Perception & Attributional Bias in Organizational Behavior
- Learning in the Workplace
- Understanding Employee Motivation
- Individual Decision Making
- Introduction to Workforce Diversity
- Organizational Communication in the Workplace
- Groups, Teams & Group Decision Making
- Managing Conflict in the Workplace
- The Nature of Leadership in Organizational Behavior
- Leadership Theories & Styles in Organizational Behavior
- How Organizations are Structured & Designed
- Introduction to Organizational Culture
- Overview of Organizational Change
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Organizational Behavior Flashcards