About This Chapter
Global Political History - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will study global politics from ancient times to modern, focusing on key movements, important themes and significant events. You will examine how feudal societies imposed order in a chaotic time, and trace the beginnings of American democratic thought from England's medieval period and beyond. In these lessons, you will read about the:
- Eras in world history from 8000 B.C.E to the present
- Origin and development of Greek democracy
- Feudalism's impact on civic order in Europe
- Beginnings of judicial procedure and democratic practices in medieval England
- Development of democratic thought from the Magna Carta to the U.S. Declaration of Independence
This comprehensive study guide is fully accessible online using any device that can connect you to the Internet, including your desktop, laptop, notebook or tablet computer and even your smartphone. Brief little lessons provide the maximum information while using the minimum amount of time, so that you move through the chapters quickly. Self-assessment is available using the lesson quizzes and chapter tests, and help from our instructors and subject-matter experts is never more than a mouse-click away.
1. Periods of World History: Overviews of Eras from 8000 B.C.E to the Present
In this lesson, we will look at the six periods of world history. We will learn the defining characteristics of each and highlight the major themes associated with each period.
2. The Development of Democracy in Greece
In the 6th century BCE, Athenian Greeks developed the first system of democracy. Those three governing bodies made up of citizens would set the foundation for representative governance to come.
3. Order From Chaos: Establishing Stability through Feudal Ties and Manors
This lesson will explore the impact of feudalism on European society. While explaining the system of feudalism, it will highlight how it offered protection and stability to Europe, specifically after the 5th century fall of Rome.
4. Medieval England's Impact on Modern Democratic Thought
Going back almost a thousand years, the English have had an enormous impact on the democratic ideals we value today. Learn how the English were among the first to use trial by jury and many other democratic practices.
5. From the Magna Carta to the American Declaration of Independence
In this lesson, we will trace the legacy of democratic ideals from the Magna Carta to the Declaration of Independence. We will highlight the key developments of democracy throughout the Medieval period and into the modern age.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards