About This Chapter
Globalization & Labor Relations - Chapter Summary
To get an overview of globalization and its influence on labor relations, take a look at the lessons in this convenient online study guide chapter. Using an approachable and fun teaching style, our instructors simplify concepts that include the process of globalization, U.S. trade and policy law and multinational bargaining. You'll also take a look at significant international trade organizations. To help you remember the information you study, we've included interactive lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Recognize globalization's major drivers and institutions
- Evaluate the basic components of U.S. trade and policy law
- Summarize the history of the World Trade Organization
- Identify major international trade organizations and trade agreements
- Evaluate issues and approaches related to multinational bargaining
- Describe the history of the European Union's regional policy
- Assess the effects of NAFTA and the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation
1. Major Drivers of Globalization & Institutions that Shaped the Process
There are many factors that are responsible for the flourishing of globalization. In this lesson, we will discuss the technological changes and institutions that have driven the process. In the end, you will take a quiz to challenge your knowledge on the subject.
2. U.S. Trade Policy & Law
American industries depend upon the government for protection against imports and to promote domestic exports. In this lesson, you will be exposed to an overview of U.S. trade policy and law.
3. The World Trade Organization: Definition, History, Purpose & Members
Find out what the World Trade Organization is and what it hopes to accomplish. Learn about the history of this organization and who some of the current members are.
4. International Trade Organizations and Trade Agreements
International trade organizations and trade agreements have enormous power in the global trade environment. In this lesson, you will learn about the roles of the GATT, NAFTA, and the World Trade Organization.
5. Multinational Bargaining: Issues & Approaches
In this lesson, we look at the barriers international unions must overcome when working in multiple countries. The standards are set by three influential organizations that are authorities on the matter: the ILO, OECD, and ETUC.
6. The Events & History of the Regional Policy of the European Union
In this lesson, we will examine the European Union's Regional Policy. We will look at its definition, history, functions, and focal points to better understand how it helps Union members grow and work together.
7. What Is NAFTA? - Definition, Effects & History
In this lesson, you'll learn about the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the current trade agreement between the United States, Canada, and Mexico. After the lesson you can assess your understanding with a short quiz.
8. NAFTA & North American Integration: Reasons & Effects
This lesson will explore the North American integration that occurred through NAFTA. In doing this, it will define tariffs, while also discussing the arguments for and against this famous agreement.
9. Impacts of the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC)
Learn more about the North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation and how it's linked to a trade agreement between Mexico, Canada, and the United States. This amendment details labor rights, including unionization, for workers in each country.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 325: Union & Labor Relations course
- Introduction to Labor Unions
- Relations Between Labor & Management
- History of Labor Unions in the U.S.
- U.S. Labor Law in the Private Sector
- Public Sector Labor Relations
- Union Structure & Management
- Union Organizing
- The Bargaining Process in Union & Labor Relations
- Labor-Management Conflict Resolutions
- Grievance, Disciplinary & Arbitration Process
- Comparative Labor Relations
- Required Assignments for Business 325