About This Chapter
Government Auditing Skills and Techniques - Chapter Summary
These video lessons will teach you about the skills and techniques government auditors use. You'll identify common managerial skills and strategies and understand how they're applied to the government auditing process. The chapter also includes information on the process of strategic and performance management.
After completing these lessons, you should be able to:
- Identify the roles and principles of management
- Describe planning, organizing, leading and controlling as functions of management
- Understand the strategic management process
- Discuss the analytical skills government auditors need to have
- Explain the performance management process
- Develop a performance management system
The lessons in this chapter are taught by professional instructors who present the material in a simple and concise manner. Lessons highlight key definitions, concepts and examples to make the learning experience efficient and easy to understand. Self-assessment quizzes are available to take after watching each lesson. You can also quickly find the information you need using the convenient course dashboard and interactive video timelines.
1. Management Roles and Principles
Managers serve important roles in organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the key roles management plays in an organization and fundamental principles that management follows. A short quiz follows.
2. Planning as a Function of Management
In this lesson, you will learn the role of planning as a function of management. Discover the advantages of and barriers to planning, and how it is used to achieve organizational goals.
3. Organizing as a Function of Management
Once a plan is in place, a manager must put it into action. This lesson explains the role of organizing as a function of management as well as its relationship with planning.
4. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
5. Controlling as a Function of Management
In this lesson, we will explore the role of controlling as a function of management and its use of various control mechanisms to reach organizational goals.
6. The Strategic Management Process
We will be reviewing the strategic management process, starting with the four main steps of the process. These steps provide the foundation for understanding strategic management as a whole and will serve you well as you deal with management decision-making situations.
7. Government Auditor Analytical Skills: Need & Examples
Government auditors and other business professionals need strong analytical skills to handle on-the-job activities. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the need for analytical skills and areas where these can be beneficial.
8. Performance Management: Definition & Process
In this lesson, learn the definition and the five steps involved in performance management. As a manager or employee, understanding the process can be important to success in the work place.
9. How to Develop a Performance Management System
In this lesson, we'll learn about performance management systems. We'll define the term and then look specifically at how a company might develop its own performance management system.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CGAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Government Auditing Professional course
- Auditing Standards & Governance
- Risk/Control Frameworks in Auditing
- Government Auditing Practices: The Audit Function
- Types of Government Audit Services
- Process for Delivery of Audit Services
- Evaluating Quantitative & Qualitative Data
- Government Auditing: Financial Management
- Implications of Audit Service Delivery Methods
- Implications of Delivering Audit Services to Citizens
- Unique Characteristics of Human Resources Management
- Unique Purchasing & Procurement Requirements
- CGAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Government Auditing Professional Flashcards