About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your graphing and functions in AP calculus homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your graphing and functions homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Using function terminology
- Graphing basic and compound fractions
- Graphing inverse functions
- Using properties of quadratic functions
- Doing simple factoring
- Simplifying using exponentials
- Using the natural log
- Defining slopes and tangents on a graph
- Using point-slope formula to find the equation of a line
- Identifying horizontal and vertical asymptotes
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
3. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
4. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
5. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
6. Polynomial Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
7. Exponentials, Logarithms & the Natural Log
Use the properties of exponentials and logarithms to learn how carbon dating works. This lesson covers properties of a natural log and rules of logarithms.
8. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
9. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
10. Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes
No matter how hard you try to get to them, asymptotes remain out of reach. Learn about these invisible lines on graphs that show you places your equations just can't go.
11. Implicit Functions
Sometimes inputting a variable into a function 'black box' doesn't yield a simple output. Find out what happens when you can't isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equal sign.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Homework Help Resource course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Limits in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Calculating Derivatives and Derivative Rules in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Graphing Derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Integration and Integration Techniques in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Homework Help Resource