About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering AP calculus material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn AP calculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding graphs of derivatives and applications for L'Hopital's Rule
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about graphing derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule in AP calculus
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the graphing derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule in AP calculus chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know; review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the graphing derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule in AP calculus chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on graphing derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a graphing derivatives and L'Hopital's Rule unit of a standard AP Calculus AB and BC course. Topics covered include:
- Graphing the derivative from any function
- Determining maximum and minimum values of a graph
- Using differentiation to find maximum and minimum values
- Determining concavity and inflection points using differentiation
- Identifying functions from derivative graphs
- Defining L'Hopital's Rule
- Applying L'Hopital's Rule in simple and complex cases
1. Graphing the Derivative from Any Function
When you know the rules, calculating the derivates of equations is relatively straightforward, although it can be tedious! What happens, though, when you don't know the function? In this lesson, learn how to graph the derivative of a function based solely on a graph of the function!
2. Non Differentiable Graphs of Derivatives
When I walk along a curve, I stand normal to it. That is, I stand perpendicular to the tangent. Learn how to calculate where I'm standing in this lesson.
3. How to Determine Maximum and Minimum Values of a Graph
What is the highest point on a roller coaster? Most roller coasters have a lot of peaks, but only one is really the highest. In this lesson, learn the difference between the little bumps and the mother of all peaks on your favorite ride.
4. Using Differentiation to Find Maximum and Minimum Values
If you are shot out of a cannon, how do you know when you've reached your maximum height? When walking through a valley, how do you know when you are at the bottom? In this lesson, use the properties of the derivative to find the maxima and minima of a function.
5. Concavity and Inflection Points on Graphs
You might not think of a cup when you think of an awesome skateboard ramp. But I'm sure a really bad ramp would give you a frown, right? Learn about cups and frowns in this lesson on concavity and inflection points.
6. Understanding Concavity and Inflection Points with Differentiation
Put a little more meaning behind those cups and frowns. In this lesson, use the second derivative of a function to determine if it is concave up or concave down.
7. Data Mining: Function Properties from Derivatives
Some shoes come with accelerometers that give a person's acceleration as a function of time. From this information, the shoe can determine roughly how fast you're going. In this lesson, learn how this works as we take the derivative of a function and glean information from it about the original function.
8. Data Mining: Identifying Functions From Derivative Graphs
If you saw the graph of speed as a function of time for a bicycle, a jet, and a VW bug, could you pick which vehicle produced which graph? In this lesson, try it as we match functions with their derivatives.
9. What is L'Hopital's Rule?
A Swiss mathematician and a French mathematician walk into a bar ... and they walk out with the famous L'Hopital's rule for finding limits. In this lesson, learn what these two mathematicians came up with and how to use it to avoid the limit of zero divided by zero!
10. Applying L'Hopital's Rule in Simple Cases
L'Hôpital's rule may have disputed origins, but in this lesson you will use it for finding the limits of a range of functions, from trigonometric to polynomials and for limits of infinity/infinity and 0/0.
11. Applying L'Hopital's Rule in Complex Cases
L'Hôpital's rule is great for finding limits, but what happens when you end up with exactly what you started with? Find out how to use L'Hôpital's rule in this and other advanced situations in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Calculus AB & BC: Help and Review course
- Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Graphing and Functions in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Sequences and Series in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Limits in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Continuity in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Exponents and Polynomials in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Applications of Derivatives in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules in AP Calculus: Help & Review
- Calculus - Derivatives Calculations & Rules: Help & Review
- Differential Equations in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Area Under the Curve and Integrals in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Integration Applications in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Rate of Change in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- Geometry and Trigonometry in AP Calculus: Help and Review
- How to Use Scientific Calculators for AP Calculus: Help and Review