About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about graphing inequalities. There is no faster or easier way to learn about inequalities. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn how to graph inequalities.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Graphing Inequalities unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Graphing Inequalities Unit Objectives:
- Provide a definition of an inequality.
- Understand the steps for graphing 1-variable and 2-variable inequalities.
- Detail the steps for graphing an absolute variable inequality.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing with Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangle Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytic Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polar Coordinates: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum