About This Chapter
Graphing Linear Functions & Equations - Chapter Summary
This chapter will guide you to a better understanding of linear function and equations. Get to know graphing techniques and learn to understand the inverse function. The interpretation of initial value and rate of change are also covered. The lessons focus on the following:
- Asymptotes: vertical and horizontal
- Graphing absolute values and doing transformations
- Determination of a function's initial value
- Use of graphing to solve a system of equations
These video lessons run 5-10 minutes each, so it can be easy to make daily progress on your study program. Log in from any location using your mobile device anytime you have a few minutes. Track your progress on your dashboard.
1. Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes
No matter how hard you try to get to them, asymptotes remain out of reach. Learn about these invisible lines on graphs that show you places your equations just can't go.
2. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
3. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
4. Linear and Nonlinear Functions
After watching this video lesson, you'll be able to tell the differences between linear and nonlinear functions. You'll also be able to identify both types just by looking at graphs.
5. Determine the Initial Value of a Function
In this lesson, you will learn to determine the initial value of a function by studying functions in the form of word problems, graphs and linear equations.
6. Interpret Rate of Change and Initial Value
In this lesson, you'll learn how to interpret the rate of change and initial value of a function. We'll also discuss applying these principles to word problems and in real-world situations.
7. How to Solve a System of Equations by Graphing
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve a system of equations by graphing. Learn when you have a solution and when you don't. Also learn how easy the solution is to spot.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Understanding Coordinate Graphs
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Algebraic Distribution
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Overview of Algebraic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Using a Graphing Calculator
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards