About This Chapter
Graphing Piecewise Functions in Precalculus - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Focus on learning more about graphing piecewise functions with this chapter. Break down the computations in precalculus that involve piecewise functions as you study these text and video lessons. You'll be increasing what you know about:
- The definition of piecewise functions
- Domains of piecewise functions
- Graphing and translating piecewise functions
- The greatest integer function
|What are Piecewise Functions?||Compare piecewise functions to ordinary functions.|
|How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions||Develop an understanding of the importance of the domain of piecewise functions.|
|How to Graph Piecewise Functions||Evaluate the process for graphing piecewise functions and explore continuity and discontinuity.|
|Translating Piecewise Functions||Develop your understanding of how piecewise functions are translated.|
|Greatest Integer Function: Definition & Examples||Test your ability to define and graph the greatest integer function.|
1. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
2. How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions
The domain of any function is all the values that x can be for that function. Piecewise functions are special functions that have different parts with unique rules for each part. This lesson will show you how to find the domain for piecewise functions.
3. How to Graph Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are specific functions that have more than one piece. There is a special trick to graphing these type of functions, which you will learn in this lesson.
4. Translating Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are two or more functions that only use part of a domain. If these functions need to be changed, we can translate them without even having to know the equation.
5. Greatest Integer Function: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll examine the greatest integer function. We'll define this function through words and examples, and lastly, we'll take a look at different real world scenarios when this type of function can be used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Honors Precalculus Textbook course
- Working with Linear Equations
- Working With Inequalities
- Absolute Value Equations
- Working with Complex Numbers
- Systems of Linear Equations
- Mathematical Modeling for Precalculus
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus
- Types of Functions in Precalculus
- Understanding Function Operations
- Graphing Functions in Precalculus
- Graph Symmetry
- Rate of Change
- Polynomial Function Basics in Precalculus
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs in Precalculus
- Exponential Functions & Logarithms in Precalculus
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Trigonometric Applications
- Vectors in Precalculus
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Understanding Arithmetic Sequences & Series
- Understanding Geometric Sequences & Series
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations
- Working with Sequences & Series
- Sets & Probability
- Limits in Precalculus