About This Chapter
Graphing & Solving Inequalities - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides both instruction and hands-on practice in identifying, graphing, and solving inequalities. You will work with absolute inequalities, learn how to solve and graph them, and gain skill in translating between inequalities and mathematical sentences. The lessons teach you about:
- Defining and graphing inequalities, and solving practice problems
- Understanding sets, compound inequalities and systems of inequalities
- Finding solutions to and graphing absolute inequalities, and completing practice problems
- Making translations between math sentences and inequalities
Short, easy, expertly illustrated and well-presented lessons, coupled with self-assessment quizzes and a chapter test, all combine to form a powerful and comprehensive study guide that is as close to you as your smartphone or any device that allows online access. Each video lesson is accompanied by a fully transcribed version, and key terminology is set off in bold print for rapid identification and reference. Our instructors and subject-matter experts are available for questions upon request, so help is always at hand.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Translating Math Sentences to Inequalities
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can easily translate math sentences into inequalities. Once you know how to do this, solving word problems becomes that much easier.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MEGA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic
- Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- Ratios & Proportions
- Exponential Expression Math
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Matrix Operations
- Functions, Graphs & Properties
- Notation, Sequences & Series
- Linear Equation Properties
- Solving Systems of Linear Equations
- Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations Overview
- Polynomial Functions Basics
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs
- Radical Expressions
- Graphing Piecewise Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Principles of Measurement
- Area & Perimeter of Shapes
- Properties of 3D Figures in Math
- Fundamentals of Geometry Proofs
- Lines & Angles in Math
- Parallel Line Proofs in Geometry
- Triangle Properties
- Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs in Geometry
- Right Triangles & Geometric Proofs
- Polygon Properties & Proofs
- Circles, Angles & Properties
- Conic Sections
- Applying Coordinate Geometry
- Geometric Transformations Overview
- Graph Symmetry Overview
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Overview of Continuity
- Limits of Functions
- Understanding Rate of Change
- Calculating Derivatives of Functions
- Understanding Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- Understanding Applications of Derivatives
- Relationship Between Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- Indefinite Integrals in Calculus
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Data Summarization in Math
- Sampling & Statistical Bias
- Evaluating Probabilities
- Discrete Probability Distributions in Statistics
- Continuous Probability Distributions in Statistics
- MEGA Mathematics Flashcards