About This Chapter
Who's it for?
This unit of our High School Trigonometry Homeschool Curriculum course will benefit any student who is trying to learn about graphing with functions. There is no faster or easier way to learn how to graph functions. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who require an efficient, self-paced course of study to learn about asymptotes, polynomial functions, slopes and tangents.
- Homeschool parents looking to spend less time preparing lessons and more time teaching.
- Homeschool parents who need a math curriculum that appeals to multiple learning types (visual or auditory).
- Gifted students and students with learning differences.
How it works:
- Students watch a short, fun video lesson that covers a specific unit topic.
- Students and parents can refer to the video transcripts to reinforce learning.
- Short quizzes and a Graphing with Functions unit exam confirm understanding or identify any topics that require review.
Graphing with Functions Unit Objectives:
- Learn how to 'read' a graph.
- Review polynomials and factoring procedures.
- Find the slope between two points on a graph.
- Construct the tangent of a curve on a graph.
- Explore asymptotes, or the invisible lines on a graph.
- Understand what is meant by an implicit function.
1. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
2. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
3. Polynomial Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
4. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
5. Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes
No matter how hard you try to get to them, asymptotes remain out of reach. Learn about these invisible lines on graphs that show you places your equations just can't go.
6. Implicit Functions
Sometimes inputting a variable into a function 'black box' doesn't yield a simple output. Find out what happens when you can't isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equal sign.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum course
- Types of Real Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Working with Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graphing Inequalities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Absolute Value Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Complex Numbers: Homeschool Curriculum
- Using Systems of Linear Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Mathematical Modeling: Homeschool Curriculum
- Introduction to Quadratics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Quadratic Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Coordinate Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Functions for Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Operations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Graph Symmetry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Homeschool Curriculum
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Difference Quotients: Homeschool Curriculum
- Function Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Exponential Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Functions: Homeschool Curriculum
- Triangle Trigonometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Graphs: Homeschool Curriculum
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Identities: Homeschool Curriculum
- Trigonometric Applications: Homeschool Curriculum
- Analytic Geometry: Homeschool Curriculum
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Homeschool Curriculum
- Polar Coordinates: Homeschool Curriculum
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Homeschool Curriculum