About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Graphing with Functions chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topic||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Graphing basics||Graphing functions and data|
|Tuesday||Polynomials functions||Properties of quadratic functions and factoring; exponentials and simplifying|
|Wednesday||Slopes and tangents||Calculating slopes and tangents on a graph|
|Thursday||Horizontal and vertical asymptotes||Identifying asymptotes|
|Friday||Implicit functions||Definition and examples of inverse and implicit functions|
1. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
2. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
3. Polynomial Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
4. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
5. Horizontal and Vertical Asymptotes
No matter how hard you try to get to them, asymptotes remain out of reach. Learn about these invisible lines on graphs that show you places your equations just can't go.
6. Implicit Functions
Sometimes inputting a variable into a function 'black box' doesn't yield a simple output. Find out what happens when you can't isolate the dependent variable on one side of the equal sign.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Inequalities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Complex Numbers: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Quadratics: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Function Operations: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rate of Change: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Advanced Polynomial Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs: Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants: Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Sequences & Series: Lesson Plans
- Sets in Algebra: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections: Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Lesson Plans
- Continuity: Precalculus Lesson Plans
- Limits: Precalculus Lesson Plans