About This Chapter
GRE Analytical Writing: Editing Your Essay - Chapter Summary
Learn strategies for editing an essay with our GRE review videos. Lessons offer tips to help you effectively revise essays - even under timed conditions - which can enhance your performance on the analytical writing section of the GRE. These tutorials address:
- Thesis statements
- Organizing ideas
- Checking the content of the essay body
The lessons in this chapter explore ways to edit your own writing and recheck your essay to make sure it is properly focused and executed. Lessons are presented in short, to-the-point videos and incorporate quizzes that allow you to check your understanding of the material.
GRE Analytical Writing Objectives
The GRE is a test designed to determine a student's preparedness to undertake graduate-level academic work. The analytical writing section accounts for approximately 30% of the exam and entails formulating responses to two essay questions. Our essay editing lessons can help you develop the capacity to edit or revise your essay quickly under timed circumstances like the GRE utilizes. Lessons delineate objectives such as:
- Creating or refining your thesis statement
- Assessing an essay's organization
- Addressing main points in supporting paragraphs
- Strategies for effective proofreading
- Improving your ability to edit your own writing
For the analytical writing portion of the GRE, students are asked to develop two essays in response to different prompts. The first involves the assessment of a presented argument's effectiveness, and the second comprises the articulation of a position in favor or not in favor of a proposed idea. Students are given 30 minutes to compose each essay.
1. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
2. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
3. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- GRE: About the Test
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: About the Verbal Reasoning Section
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Reading Skills
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Vocabulary Skills
- GRE Analytical Writing: About the Analytical Writing Measure
- GRE Analytical Writing: Crafting Your Argument
- GRE Analytical Writing: Planning Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Starting Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing the Essay Body
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Technique
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Stronger Sentences
- GRE Analytical Writing: Grammar and Usage
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: About the Quantitative Reasoning Section
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Numbers and Operations
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sequences and Series
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Exponents & Roots
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Functions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Rational Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Inequalities
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Practical Applications
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Plane Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Coordinate Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Probability and Statistics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Interpreting Statistical Data
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sets
- GRE Flashcards
- GRE Test Flashcards