About This Chapter
GRE Biology: Biology Lab Methods - Chapter Summary
Get a refresher on the uses of immunofluorescence, gel filtration methods, and other cellular and molecular biology lab procedures. Listed below are some of the topics covered in this GRE Biology test-prep chapter:
- Microscope types and their uses
- Lab separation methods
- Immunological methods
In addition to entertaining videos, you'll find transcripts that allow you to view key vocabulary terms and lesson summaries at a glance. There are also self-assessment quizzes that link back to video content so you can come away from the chapter with a solid understanding of the concepts you'll need to be familiar with on test day.
GRE Biology Objectives
The GRE Biology exam contains around 190 multiple-choice questions and is offered to prospective graduate students who want to make their admission materials stand out among other applicants.
Test questions that require a familiarity with cellular and molecular biology lab procedures can be found in the exam's cellular structure and function subsection, which includes around 16%-17% of test content. Prepare for them with this chapter's lessons on the uses of centrifugation, florescence activated cell sorting, Western blotting, and other lab techniques and technologies.
1. Types of Microscopes: Electron, Light & Fluorescence
Microscopes are used to visualize tiny objects and structures that cannot be seen with the naked eye. In this lesson, learn how light, fluorescence, and electron microscopes work and how they are used in scientific and medical research.
2. Separation Methods Used in Biology Labs
Research in cell and molecular biology involves the separation of proteins and other cell components. Here we will investigate some of the key separation methods commonly used. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
3. Immunological Methods Used in Biology Labs
In this lesson, we will discuss immunological methods used in cellular and molecular biology labs. These methods are based on antigen-antibody interactions and include western blots, immunofluorescence, and immunohistochemistry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- GRE Biology: History of Life
- GRE Biology: Genetic Variability, Evolutionary Processes and Consequences
- GRE Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Organic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Cell Structure & Function
- GRE Biology: Cell Communication
- GRE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- GRE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry
- GRE Biology: The Cell Cycle
- GRE Biology: Genetic Foundations
- GRE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- GRE Biology: DNA Replication
- GRE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- GRE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- GRE Biology: Introduction to Viruses
- GRE Biology: Bacterial Biology
- GRE Biology: Recombinant DNA Methodology
- GRE Biology: Environmental Exchanges in Organismal Biology
- GRE Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- GRE Biology: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- GRE Biology: Male Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Female Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- GRE Biology: Plant Structure, Function, and Organization
- GRE Biology: Plant Reproduction, Growth, and Development
- GRE Biology: Ecosystems, Biomes, and Habitats
- GRE Biology: Ecological Interactions
- GRE Biology: Ecological Chemical Cycling
- GRE Biology: The Diversity of Life
- GRE Biology: Behavioral Ecology
- GRE Biology Flashcards