About This Chapter
Ecological Chemical Cycling - Chapter Summary
View these brief and engaging video lessons to learn about ecological chemical cycling. These lessons and the self-assessment quizzes following each lesson will help you sharpen your understanding of this material. Lessons in this chapter cover:
- Phosphorus cycle
- Nitrogen cycle and acid rain
- Fossil fuels
- Carbon cycle
- Greenhouse gasses and global warming
- Long-term carbon storage
Our instructors are experts in their field and break down complex subjects into smaller sections to make learning easy. Watch the video lessons as often as you would like to ensure that you understand ecological chemical cycling. Take an exam at the end of the chapter to assess your comprehension of the content covered in each lesson.
GRE Biology Objectives
The GRE Biology Test is a subject test intended for graduate school applicants to show their knowledge of biology to graduate program admissions committees. The GRE Biology Test is organized into three primary areas: cellular and molecular biology, organismal biology, and ecology and evolution. Ecological chemical cycling questions fall within the ecology and evolution section. Our lessons discuss the ecological chemical cycling information you need to know for the test.
The GRE Biology Test consists of approximately 190 multiple-choice questions with 16% to 17% covering ecology material. Each question has 5 answer options.
1. Biogeochemical Cycling and the Phosphorus Cycle
In this video lesson, we'll take a look at how elements large and small use other elements to grow. This is achieved through cycles. We'll look at macronutrients, trace elements and the biogeochemical and phosphorous cycles.
2. The Nitrogen Cycle, Acid Rain and Fossil Fuels
Do you know the difference between nitrite and nitrate? Do you have any clue how all the nitrogen in the atmosphere becomes usable? If you can't answer these questions, then you need to watch this lesson on the nitrogen cycle.
3. Fossil Fuels, Greenhouse Gases, and Global Warming
In this video lesson, you'll learn what roles fossil fuels and greenhouse gases play in global warming, as well as what life on Earth can expect due to rising carbon dioxide levels within Earth's atmosphere.
4. The Carbon Cycle and Long-Term Carbon Storage
All living organisms have a role in the carbon cycle. Do you know you understand how humans, animals and plants use carbon? This lesson will introduce you to the carbon cycle and explain how it functions on a global scale.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- GRE Biology: History of Life
- GRE Biology: Genetic Variability, Evolutionary Processes and Consequences
- GRE Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Organic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Cell Structure & Function
- GRE Biology: Cell Communication
- GRE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- GRE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry
- GRE Biology: The Cell Cycle
- GRE Biology: Biology Lab Methods
- GRE Biology: Genetic Foundations
- GRE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- GRE Biology: DNA Replication
- GRE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- GRE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- GRE Biology: Introduction to Viruses
- GRE Biology: Bacterial Biology
- GRE Biology: Recombinant DNA Methodology
- GRE Biology: Environmental Exchanges in Organismal Biology
- GRE Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- GRE Biology: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- GRE Biology: Male Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Female Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- GRE Biology: Plant Structure, Function, and Organization
- GRE Biology: Plant Reproduction, Growth, and Development
- GRE Biology: Ecosystems, Biomes, and Habitats
- GRE Biology: Ecological Interactions
- GRE Biology: The Diversity of Life
- GRE Biology: Behavioral Ecology
- GRE Biology Flashcards