About This Chapter
GRE Biology: Enzymatic Biochemistry - Chapter Summary
Become well-versed with enzymatic biochemistry by studying the lessons that make up this chapter. The fun video components focus on illustrating the major enzyme points to boost your understanding. Topics covered throughout the chapter are as follows:
- Enzymatic reactions
- Enzyme partners such as cofactors
- Environmental effects on enzyme structure and activity
- Activation energy
Review the lesson transcripts that correspond with the video lessons for an effective studying strategy. While you're going over the videos, you can use the timeline to easily jump to particular portions you want to study more.
GRE Biology Objectives
The cellular structure and function part of the GRE Biology subject test contains the questions regarding enzymes and consists of roughly 17% of the exam's material. This chapter's videos and quizzes prepare you for the enzymatic questions that you will see. All questions on the GRE Biology subject test are multiple-choice.
Passing the GRE Biology test can help you demonstrate your mastery of this topic, and your test results can be included in your application packet to graduate schools.
1. Function of Enzymes: Substrate, Active Site & Activation Energy
In this lesson, we'll learn how enzymes function to lower the activation energy of a chemical reaction. Enzymes bind to their substrates to perform all kinds of important and essential cellular processes, as well as processes that help you enjoy a slice of pizza!
2. Enzyme Activity & Inhibition: Structure, Substrates, pH & Temperature
Enzymes appreciate the right working conditions. Can you blame them? We all work best in the correct environment. In this lesson, we'll learn how substrate concentration, temperature, and pH affect enzyme activity and structure.
3. Coenzymes, Cofactors & Prosthetic Groups: Function and Interactions
Some enzymes require helpers to recognize a substrate or complete a reaction. These helpers include cofactors, coenzymes, and prosthetic groups, which are required for some enzymes' functions.
4. Enzymatic Reactions: Inhibition and Regulation
Enzymes are generally not allowed to run uncontrolled in a cell. While they are useful in catalyzing reactions, there is a time and place for everything. In this lesson, we'll discuss enzyme activators and inhibitors that regulate these reactions positively and negatively, respectively.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- GRE Biology: History of Life
- GRE Biology: Genetic Variability, Evolutionary Processes and Consequences
- GRE Biology: Inorganic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Organic Chemistry Review
- GRE Biology: Cell Structure & Function
- GRE Biology: Cell Communication
- GRE Biology: Metabolic Biochemistry
- GRE Biology: The Cell Cycle
- GRE Biology: Biology Lab Methods
- GRE Biology: Genetic Foundations
- GRE Biology: Nucleic Acids
- GRE Biology: DNA Replication
- GRE Biology: Genetic Mutations
- GRE Biology: The Transcription & Translation Process
- GRE Biology: Introduction to Viruses
- GRE Biology: Bacterial Biology
- GRE Biology: Recombinant DNA Methodology
- GRE Biology: Environmental Exchanges in Organismal Biology
- GRE Biology: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- GRE Biology: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- GRE Biology: Male Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Female Reproductive Structures
- GRE Biology: Animal Reproduction & Development
- GRE Biology: Plant Structure, Function, and Organization
- GRE Biology: Plant Reproduction, Growth, and Development
- GRE Biology: Ecosystems, Biomes, and Habitats
- GRE Biology: Ecological Interactions
- GRE Biology: Ecological Chemical Cycling
- GRE Biology: The Diversity of Life
- GRE Biology: Behavioral Ecology
- GRE Biology Flashcards