About This Chapter
GRE Psychology: Treatment Methods for Psychological Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter's effective lessons will help make sure that you can correctly respond to any items on the GRE Psychology Test regarding treatment for psychological disorders. You'll find the following topics in this chapter:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Psychiatric drugs
- Biological therapy
- Treatment effectiveness
You're able to quickly check your understanding of each lesson by taking a practice quiz. You can easily return to any video segments for additional review by using the video tags.
GRE Psychology: Treatment Methods for Psychological Disorders Chapter Objectives
The GRE Psychology Test helps determine your readiness for graduate-level psychology coursework. The exam contains around 205 multiple-choice questions. The content in this chapter matches up with some of the questions you'll see from the clinical and abnormal part, which makes up between 12 and 14% of the test.
1. Individual Therapy: Psychodynamic, Cognitive & Behavioral
What are the different approaches to individual therapy? In this lesson, we'll watch as Mary tries to find the type of individual therapy that works best for her. Will she be able to overcome her problems? Let's find out!
2. Group Therapy: Definition, Uses & Types
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
3. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
4. Biological Therapy for Psychological Problems: Definition & Examples
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
5. Measuring Psychological Treatment Effectiveness
In this lesson we'll explore factors that contribute to treatment effectiveness in psychological treatment plans. We'll also analyze ways to assess effectiveness and the importance of doing so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- GRE Psychology: History & Development of Modern Psychology
- GRE Psychology: Research Methods Used in the Study of Psychology
- GRE Psychology: Learning
- GRE Psychology: Language
- GRE Psychology: Memory
- GRE Psychology: Thinking
- GRE Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- GRE Psychology: Physiological/Behavioral Neuroscience
- GRE Psychology: States of Consciousness
- GRE Psychology: Motivation, Arousal, Emotion
- GRE Psychology: Clinical Psychology
- GRE Psychology: Clinical Assessment
- GRE Psychology: Abnormal Psychology
- GRE Psychology: Lifespan Development
- GRE Psychology: Theoretical Foundations of Lifespan Development
- GRE Psychology: Areas of Lifespan Development
- GRE Psychology: Personality
- GRE Psychology: Social Psychology
- GRE Psychology Flashcards