About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering GRE material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to acquire the skills needed to take the GRE. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding transformations, lines or absolute value
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about coordinate geometry
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Coordinate Geometry chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Coordinate Geometry chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about coordinate geometry. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a coordinate geometry unit of a standard GRE prep course. Topics covered include:
- Transverse, parallel and perpendicular lines
- Point-slope formula
- Graphs of slopes and tangents
- Methods for graphing undefined slope and zero slope
- Distance formula and midpoint formula
- Different parts of a graph
- Graphs for absolute value
- Dilations and reflections
1. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
3. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
6. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
7. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
8. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
9. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
10. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Help and Review course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Reading Skills: Help and Review
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- GRE - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- GRE - FOIL, Parabolas & Quadratics: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Exponents: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Help and Review
- GRE - Rational Equations & Expressions: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Help and Review
- GRE - Probability & Statistics: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Help and Review