About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other quantitative reasoning work.
- Identify the coordinate geometry concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GRE Quantitative Reasoning Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about coordinate geometry and pass the GRE. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the point-slope formula, transformations, dilations, reflections or any other coordinate geometry topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning and prepare for the GRE
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves struggling with coordinate geometry
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to answer the quantitative reasoning questions on the GRE correctly
- Need access to GRE math materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about coordinate geometry simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GRE prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about coordinate geometry on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to identify parallel, perpendicular and transverse lines.
- Use the point-slope formula to solve the equation of a line.
- Graph absolute value, undefined slope and zero slope.
- Solve problems with the distance and midpoint formulas.
- Identify the different parts of a graph.
- Perform transformations by shifting graphs on a plane.
1. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula
It's time for a road trip to Las Vegas, and after four hours of driving at 60 mph ... Are we there yet? Learn the point-slope form of the equation of a line to help answer this age-old question.
3. Slopes and Tangents on a Graph
Hit the slopes and learn how the steepness of a line is calculated. Calculate the slopes between points and draw the tangents of curves on graphs in this lesson.
4. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
5. How to Use The Distance Formula
You can't always rely on your smartphone to tell you how far you need to travel to get from point A to point B. The distance formula will tell you the distance between any two points on a graph. In this lesson, you'll learn where it comes from and how to use it!
6. How to Use The Midpoint Formula
The formula for the midpoint of a line segment will tell you how to find the middle of any line segment on the x, y plane. Learn about this formula and see how it is used to find the midpoint of a line segment.
7. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
8. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
9. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
10. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Reading Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Probability and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Prep Flashcards