About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your GRE review.
- Identify the equations and expressions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GRE prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to prepare for the GRE and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding linear equations, polynomials or any other equations and expressions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their GRE preparation
- Prefer learning GRE topics visually
- Find themselves struggling with their equations and expressions review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the GRE
- Need access to GRE prep materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make preparing for the GRE simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GRE prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Review equations and expressions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review how to write and graph a linear equation.
- Learn to solve systems of equations, and see examples of them in real life.
- Find out how to convert word problems into systems of equations.
- Get tips on adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials.
- Learn to solve absolute value equations and evaluate absolute value expressions.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
4. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
5. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
6. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
7. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
8. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Reading Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Probability and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Prep Flashcards