About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering GRE material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to acquire the skills needed to take the GRE. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding operations involving exponents
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about exponents
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Exponents chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Exponents chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about exponents. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an exponents unit of a standard GRE prep course. Topics covered include:
- Simplifying expressions with rational exponents
- Solving exponential equations
- Using exponential functions
- Identifying the five main exponent properties
- Simplifying expressions with exponents
- Defining a zero and negative exponent
1. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
2. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
3. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
4. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
5. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
6. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
7. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Help and Review course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Reading Skills: Help and Review
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Help and Review
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- GRE - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- GRE - FOIL, Parabolas & Quadratics: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Help and Review
- GRE - Rational Equations & Expressions: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Help and Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Coordinate Geometry: Help and Review
- GRE - Probability & Statistics: Help & Review
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Help and Review
- GRE Test: General Info