About This Chapter
GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Exponents & Roots - Chapter Summary
Establish mastery in exponents and roots with these entertaining GRE lessons. You'll get reacquainted with rational exponents, scientific notation, the square root property and more. After you've completed this chapter, you will be ready to do the following:
- Simplify expressions with exponents and rational exponents
- Share the definition of an exponential function
- List and discuss the five main exponent properties
- Define a zero and negative exponent
- Discuss rules of the square root
Each lesson in this chapter is paired with a multiple-choice quiz you can take anytime to check your comprehension of main concepts. If you develop any questions while studying the lessons, our subject-matter experts can answer them! Be sure to stop by the Dashboard to keep track of your progress and revisit specific portions of this chapter. Enjoy 24/7 access that enables you to study whenever your schedule permits.
1. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
2. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
3. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
4. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
5. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
6. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
7. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
8. Square Root: Sign, Rules & Problems
In this lesson, you will learn how to recognize square root notation. You will also learn properties of square roots and discover how to simplify expressions that include square roots.
9. The Square Root Property
In this lesson, we'll learn what the square root property is. We'll also look at how to use the square root property to solve quadratic equations and for which types of quadratic equations it can be used.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- GRE: About the Test
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: About the Verbal Reasoning Section
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Reading Skills
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Vocabulary Skills
- GRE Analytical Writing: About the Analytical Writing Measure
- GRE Analytical Writing: Crafting Your Argument
- GRE Analytical Writing: Planning Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Starting Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing the Essay Body
- GRE Analytical Writing: Editing Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Technique
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Stronger Sentences
- GRE Analytical Writing: Grammar and Usage
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: About the Quantitative Reasoning Section
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Numbers and Operations
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sequences and Series
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Functions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Rational Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Inequalities
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Practical Applications
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Plane Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Coordinate Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Probability and Statistics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Interpreting Statistical Data
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sets
- GRE Flashcards
- GRE Test Flashcards