About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other quantitative reasoning work.
- Identify the factoring, parabolas and quadratics concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GRE Quantitative Reasoning Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about factoring, parabolas and quadratics and pass the GRE. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to complete the square, factor quadratic equations, recognize parabolas, use the FOIL method or any other related topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning and prepare for the GRE
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves struggling with factoring, parabolas and quadratics
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to answer the quantitative reasoning questions on the GRE correctly
- Need access to GRE math materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about factoring, parabolas and quadratics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GRE prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about factoring, parabolas and quadratics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Use the area and FOIL methods to multiply binomials.
- Solve quadratic equations by factoring or using the quadratic formula.
- Identify and graph parabolas in intercept, standard and vertex form.
- Solve polynomial problems.
- Use the FOIL method in reverse to factor quadratic equations.
1. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
2. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
3. How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation
When solving a quadratic equation by factoring doesn't work, the quadratic formula is here to save the day. Learn what it is and how to use it in this lesson.
4. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
5. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
6. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
7. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
8. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
9. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
10. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
11. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Reading Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Probability and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Prep Flashcards