About This Chapter
GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sequences and Series - Chapter Summary
Use these GRE review videos to develop expertise in mathematical sequences and series. These video lessons cover the quantitative concepts with which you'll need to be familiar to score well on the GRE. Topics addressed in the sequences and series lessons include:
- Arithmetic sequences
- Geometric sequences
- Arithmetic series
In this chapter, lessons describe the methods used to determine formulas for different types of numeric patterns. Material is divided into short video tutorials with accompanying quizzes that let you test your knowledge and help you prepare for GRE success.
GRE Quantitative Reasoning Objectives
Designed to help predict a student's capacity to perform satisfactorily in graduate school, the GRE contains a section on quantitative reasoning that makes up approximately one third of the test. Our instructional videos on series and sequences relate information used in this portion of the GRE. Lesson objectives are offered in:
- Identifying types of mathematical sequences
- Formulating arithmetic sequences
- Discerning geometric sequences
- Understanding the arithmetic series formula
- Utilizing mathematical logic and critical thinking
The GRE's quantitative reasoning section tests in areas of geometry, algebra, arithmetic, and data analysis. For some questions, you will be offered multiple responses and asked to choose one or more correct answers. Others will offer problems for which you will determine and enter your own numerical response.
1. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
2. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
3. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
4. Finding and Classifying Geometric Sequences
Want your YouTube video to get a lot of hits? Besides including a cute baby or an adorable cat, getting your video to have a big common ratio is the key. Learn what I'm talking about here!
5. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GRE Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- GRE: About the Test
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: About the Verbal Reasoning Section
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Reading Skills
- GRE Verbal Reasoning: Vocabulary Skills
- GRE Analytical Writing: About the Analytical Writing Measure
- GRE Analytical Writing: Crafting Your Argument
- GRE Analytical Writing: Planning Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Starting Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing the Essay Body
- GRE Analytical Writing: Editing Your Essay
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Technique
- GRE Analytical Writing: Writing Stronger Sentences
- GRE Analytical Writing: Grammar and Usage
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: About the Quantitative Reasoning Section
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Numbers and Operations
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Fractions, Decimals & Mixed Numbers
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Exponents & Roots
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Functions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Rational Equations and Expressions
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Inequalities
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Practical Applications
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Plane Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Coordinate Geometry
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Probability and Statistics
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Interpreting Statistical Data
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning: Sets
- GRE Flashcards
- GRE Test Flashcards