About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your GRE review.
- Identify the reading skills concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GRE prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to prepare for the GRE and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding connotation, denotation, close and big picture reading strategies, or any other reading skills topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their GRE preparation
- Prefer learning GRE topics visually
- Find themselves struggling with their reading skills review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the GRE
- Don't have access to GRE prep materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make preparing for the GRE simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GRE prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Review reading skills on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn to analyze literary passages.
- Find out how to infer intended meaning in literature.
- Improve your reading speed.
- Become a more effective and efficient reader.
- Gain test-taking strategies that will help you answer multiple-choice questions about literature.
- Learn when and how to use visualization when reading.
- Discover how to identify tone and mode in a literary passage.
- Explore how structure in writing affects meaning.
- Learn how to find key elements in literature that can guide your interpretation.
1. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
Literary analysis includes comprehension, interpretation, and drawing conclusions. Explore a step-by-step guide to analyzing literary passages, how to read for comprehension, how to use the steps of close reading to interpret a literary work, and how to draw conclusions from an analysis.
2. What is Inference? - How to Infer Intended Meaning
Inference is a conclusion or opinion that is logically formed through observation, facts, reasoning and evidence. Learn about the meaning of inference, explore how to infer an intended meaning and understand how to practice making inferences.
3. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
Getting the gist, or point, of a written document is a skill. Learn the guidelines that help readers quickly grasp the gist of an essay and use this skill to improve reading comprehension and writing, too.
4. How to Answer Multiple Choice Questions About Literature: Test-Taking Strategies
Students of literature are sometimes required to answer multiple-choice questions about literature. Explore strategies to take tests and understand how to consider the literary text, the test questions, and your options to successfully complete the test.
5. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
Visualization is an effective reading strategy to support reading comprehension. This lesson will explore the definition, purpose, and benefits of visualization, as well as explain how to visualize while reading.
6. What Are Connotation and Denotation? - Definitions & Examples
Connotation is a word's figurative meaning, while denotation is a word's literal meaning. Explore the definitions of connotation and denotation, as well as examples of each from literature.
7. Understanding Tone and Mood in a Reading Passage
In literature, mood is the feeling you get while reading a story, and tone is the author's attitude toward a subject. Learn more about how to identify mood and tone by looking at the setting, characters, details, and word choices.
8. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
The structure of a written story impacts the story's meaning. This lesson will define what is in a story, the framework of a story, and how the story is organized impacts the meaning of the story.
9. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
Examining literature with close-reading and big-picture reading techniques can aid in getting a firm grasp on understanding the text. Explore these two strategies and how they can be applied to many texts, including Shakespeare's 'Romero and Juliet.'
10. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
To interpret literature is to try and find the meaning or theme of the story. Discover how to use the text to guide your interpretation with key elements such as plot, characters, setting, symbols, and point of view.
11. GRE Vocabulary Games
While taking the GRE (General Graduate Examinations) for admission into graduate school may seem daunting, a strong vocabulary can help to mitigate this concern. In this lesson, games and activities are provided for either individual study or classroom use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the GRE Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- GRE Verbal Reasoning - Vocabulary Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Crafting Your Argument: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Planning Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Starting Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing the Essay Body: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Editing Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Technique: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Writing Stronger Sentences: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Analytical Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sequences and Series: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Factoring with FOIL, Graphing Parabolas and Solving Quadratics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Plane Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Probability and Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Quantitative Reasoning - Sets: Tutoring Solution
- GRE Prep Flashcards