About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the Greek god characters from The Iliad will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the roles of the Greek gods in the poem. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the poem's Greek god characters
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Greek God Characters in The Iliad chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Greek God Characters in The Iliad chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the Greek god characters in The Iliad for a standard literature course. You'll study the roles of the following gods:
- Minor deities
1. Role of the Gods in The Iliad
This lesson will cover the role of the gods in Homer's 'The Iliad.' Main focus will be placed on each of the gods, and how their roles were of great influence in the characters and the events in the poem.
2. Zeus in The Iliad
Zeus is well known as the most powerful god in Greek mythology. This lesson will explore the different roles he took in Homer's, ''The Iliad''. Read on, to learn more about the almighty Zeus.
3. Hera in The Iliad
This lesson takes a look at the Greek goddess Hera and the role she plays in Homer's epic poem 'The Iliad.' We learn about Hera's past, the part she plays in the Trojan War, and her motivations for doing so.
4. Artemis in The Iliad
'The Illiad' is a Greek epic describing the battle between King Agamemnon and Achilles. The battle, known as the Trojan War, was said to have started between a quarrel from three Greek goddesses. Learn how the goddess Artemis becomes intertwined in the battle and uses her magical arrows to aid in the battle.
5. Apollo in The Iliad
In Homer's ''The Iliad'', Apollo, like many of the gods, frequently interferes in the Trojan War. He plays a role in some of the key events in the war, including the death of Patroclus.
6. Athena in The Iliad
In Homer's classic epic poem, Iliad, gods and goddesses are seen throughout affecting and influencing the lives of mortals. In this lesson we will study Athena, Greek Goddess of Wisdom, a fierce player in the battle between the Greeks and Trojans.
7. Aphrodite in The Iliad
This lesson examines the significance of the role of Aphrodite in Homer's 'The Iliad' and her impact on individual characters, as well as on the narrative from a broader perspective.
8. Ares' Role in The Iliad
You might expect the god of war to be a key player in Homer's war poem, but Ares' actions in 'The Iliad' are not quite as epic as expected. This lesson will delve into the minor but important role of Ares, god of war, in Homer's 'The Iliad'.
9. Hermes in The Iliad
Hermes plays a small, but important role in 'The Iliad' - helping King Priam recover the body of his slain son, Hector. In this lesson, we'll learn more about Hermes in Greek mythology and in Homer's epic poem.
10. Poseidon in The Iliad
Poseidon, the Greek god of the ocean, plays an important role in the Trojan War with the Greeks that plays out in Homer's 'The Iliad.' Please continue on for a brief summary of who Poseidon is in Greek mythology and what role he plays in 'The Iliad!'
11. Hephaestus' Role in The Iliad
Homer's epic poem ''The Iliad'' tells the story of people and gods clashing in the Trojan War. The smith god Hephaestus affects the story by calming the gods, forging new armor, saving Achilles life, and forcing the river god out of the war.
12. Thetis in The Iliad
No matter how old or how strong we get, sometimes in life we all just want our mother. In this lesson, we will learn more about Achilles' mother Thetis, and the role she plays in the events of ''The Iliad''.
13. Divine Intervention of Minor Deities in The Iliad
Gods and goddesses are notorious for their intervention into the lives of mortals throughout Greek Mythology. In Homer's ''The Iliad,'' gods and goddesses of all levels find their way into the story and play a part. This lesson will focus on the minor deities and their divine intervention in ''The Iliad.''
The Iliad Character List & Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to help you keep the diverse cast of characters from Homer's 'The Iliad' straight. You will learn about the main heroes and villains on each side of the epic Trojan War.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Iliad Study Guide course