About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college physical geology material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding groundwater systems and movement.
- Need an efficient way to learn about groundwater in geology.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Groundwater in Geology chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Groundwater in Geology chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What roles do groundwater systems play in geology?
- What factors affect groundwater movement?
- How are springs categorized and formed?
- How are wells classified?
- What's the link between environmental problems and groundwater?
- How do caverns and sinkholes form, and what are the consequences?
1. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
2. Factors that Influence Groundwater Movement
The movement of groundwater underneath us is influenced by several factors. In this video lesson, you will learn what these factors are and how they affect how and where groundwater moves.
3. Springs: Definition, Formation & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about springs and how they form. You will also understand how springs are classified based on how they flow as well as how strongly they flow.
4. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
5. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is an important natural resource, but like many of our other resources, it's affected by the surrounding environment and human activities. In this video lesson, you'll learn about some of the environmental problems associated with groundwater and why groundwater is especially vulnerable to them.
6. Caverns & Sinkholes: Definition, Formation & Effects
Groundwater can have dramatic effects on Earth's landscape, both above and below ground. In this video lesson you will learn about caverns and sinkholes, both of which are directly related to groundwater movement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Physical Geology: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Geology: Help and Review
- Earth Materials: Help and Review
- Mineral Types, Properties, and Uses: Help and Review
- Earth and Celestial Rocks: Help and Review
- Igneous Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Sedimentary Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Metamorphic Rocks in Geology: Help and Review
- Rock Deformation, Geological Folds & Faults: Help and Review
- Weathering, Soil & Erosion: Help and Review
- Running Water in Geology: Help and Review
- Glaciers in Geology: Help and Review
- Oceans in Geology: Help and Review
- Deserts and Wind: Help and Review
- Water Balance in Geology: Help and Review
- The Universe: Help and Review
- Geologic Time & Radiometric Dating: Help and Review
- Earth's Spheres, Surface & Structure: Help and Review
- Atmospheric Sciences: Help and Review
- Earthquakes in Geology: Help and Review
- Plate Tectonics in Geology: Help and Review
- Energy Resources in Geology: Help and Review
- Renewable & Nonrenewable Resources: Help and Review
- Economic Geology & Mineral Resources: Help and Review
- Human Impact on the Earth & Environment: Help and Review
- Environmental Sustainability in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Environmental Risk Analysis in Physical Geology: Help and Review
- Ethics, Politics & the Environment: Help and Review