About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Ground Water chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Groundwater systems and influences||Definition of groundwater systems and its geological role and distribution; influencing factors in groundwater's rate of movement, such as aquifers, porosity, permeability and aquitards|
|Tuesday||Springs||Meaning, types and formations of hot springs and geysers|
|Wednesday||Wells||Definition and types of wells, such as artesian wells|
|Thursday||Groundwater and the environment||Environmental problems such as land subsidence based on groundwater withdrawal and treating groundwater as a nonrenewable resources|
|Friday||Caverns and sinkholes||Meaning, formation and effects of caverns and sinkholes on the Earth|
1. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
2. Factors that Influence Groundwater Movement
The movement of groundwater underneath us is influenced by several factors. In this video lesson, you will learn what these factors are and how they affect how and where groundwater moves.
3. Springs: Definition, Formation & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about springs and how they form. You will also understand how springs are classified based on how they flow as well as how strongly they flow.
4. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
5. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is an important natural resource, but like many of our other resources, it's affected by the surrounding environment and human activities. In this video lesson, you'll learn about some of the environmental problems associated with groundwater and why groundwater is especially vulnerable to them.
6. Caverns & Sinkholes: Definition, Formation & Effects
Groundwater can have dramatic effects on Earth's landscape, both above and below ground. In this video lesson you will learn about caverns and sinkholes, both of which are directly related to groundwater movement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physical Science Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Understanding Matter Lesson Plans
- Understanding Gases Lesson Plans
- Understanding the Atom & Atomic Structure Lesson Plans
- The Periodic Table Lesson Plan Resource
- Understanding Chemical Bonding Lesson Plans
- Understanding Solutions Lesson Plans
- Stoichiometry Lesson Plan Resource
- Acids, Bases and Chemical Reactions Lesson Plans
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics Lesson Plans
- Understanding Motion Lesson Plans
- Force, Motion, and Newton's Laws Lesson Plans
- Work, Energy, Power, and Thermodynamics Lesson Plans
- Waves and Sound in Physical Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Light in Physical Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Electricity Lesson Plan Resources
- Thermal Physics Lesson Plan Resources
- Magnetism Lesson Plan Resources
- Intro to Organic Chemistry Lesson Plan Resources
- The Universe Lesson Plan Resources
- Atmospheric Science Lesson Plan Resources
- Geologic Time Lesson Plan Resources
- The Internal Structure of the Earth Lesson Plans
- Plate Tectonics Lesson Plan Resources
- Minerals and Rocks Lesson Plan Resources
- Igneous Rocks Lesson Plan Resources
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look Lesson Plans
- Volcanoes Lesson Plan Resources
- Earthquakes Lesson Plan Resources
- Weathering and Erosion Lesson Plan Resources
- Water Balance Lesson Plan Resources
- Coastal Hazards Lesson Plan Resources