About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Groundwater System chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Groundwater systems|
|Definition of groundwater, its role in the Earth's geology, saturated zones, aquifers, the water cycle|
Factors that influence movement, soil porosity, permeability, water table, hydraulic gradient
|Tuesday||Springs||Definition and word origin, confined and unconfined aquifers, types of springs and where they're found, sizes of springs|
|Wednesday||Wells||How a well works, types of wells|
|Thursday||Groundwater-related environmental problems||Why groundwater is susceptible to problems, pollution, overdrawing, subsidence|
|Friday||Caverns and sinkholes||Definition, how they are formed, their impact on the environment, caves and their features|
1. Groundwater System: Definition & Geological Role
Surprisingly, most of Earth's liquid freshwater is not where you might think! In this video lesson, you will learn about groundwater, as well as the important roles it plays in sustaining life and shaping Earth.
2. Factors that Influence Groundwater Movement
The movement of groundwater underneath us is influenced by several factors. In this video lesson, you will learn what these factors are and how they affect how and where groundwater moves.
3. Springs: Definition, Formation & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about springs and how they form. You will also understand how springs are classified based on how they flow as well as how strongly they flow.
4. Wells: Definition & Types
Wells are used all over the world and are an important source of water for many people. In this video lesson you will identify different types of wells, as well understand their underground source of water.
5. Environmental Problems Associated With Groundwater
Groundwater is an important natural resource, but like many of our other resources, it's affected by the surrounding environment and human activities. In this video lesson, you'll learn about some of the environmental problems associated with groundwater and why groundwater is especially vulnerable to them.
6. Caverns & Sinkholes: Definition, Formation & Effects
Groundwater can have dramatic effects on Earth's landscape, both above and below ground. In this video lesson you will learn about caverns and sinkholes, both of which are directly related to groundwater movement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Environmental Science Lesson Plans
- Geological Dating Lesson Plans
- Continental Drift Lesson Plans
- Earthquake Components Lesson Plans
- Volcano Types Lesson Plans
- The Atmosphere Lesson Plans
- Weather & Storms Lesson Plans
- Water Cycle Lesson Plans
- Running Water Types Lesson Plans
- Glaciers Processes Lesson Plans
- Ocean Characteristics Lesson Plans
- Water Conversion Lesson Plans
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil Lesson Plans
- Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Organism Interactions Lesson Plans
- Evolving Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Biological Science Lesson Plans
- Human Population Lesson Plans
- Food & Agricultural Resources Lesson Plans
- Land Use Lesson Plans
- Mining & Fishing Lesson Plans
- Energy Concepts Lesson Plans
- Renewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Nonrenewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Lesson Plans
- Human Environmental Impact Lesson Plans
- Environmental Sustainability Concepts Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Environmental Risk Lesson Plans
- Global Environmental Economics Lesson Plans
- Environmental Politics Lesson Plans