About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or reviewing information about Group 10 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the group's elements, including darmstadtium, platinum, palladium, silver and nickel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing Group 10 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 10 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- The discovery and uses of darmstadtium
- Facts about platinum and its properties
- Platinum's uses in jewelry and catalytic converters
- The discovery and uses of palladium
- Silver's discovery, uses and properties
- The definition of the nickel element
1. Darmstadtium: Element Uses, Discovery & Properties
This lesson describes the discovery of the element darmstadtium, named after the city of Darmstadt. In addition to the origin of its name, we also discuss its properties and uses.
2. What is Platinum? - Facts, Discovery & Properties
This lesson in an introduction to the element platinum. We will discuss the discovery of platinum in ancient cultures, properties of the metal, and its reactivity and conductivity.
3. Platinum (Pt): Jewelry, Catalytic Converter & Other Uses
In this lesson you will learn about platinum. Platinum is a Group 10 element on the periodic table that has many uses. Its use in jewelry, catalytic converters, dental fillings, and various sensors will be discussed.
4. Palladium: Discovery, Uses & Facts
In this lesson, we will be focussing our attention on one specific element in the periodic table, palladium. Our primary points of discussion will include its discovery, its important uses, and a few facts about the element.
5. What is Silver? - Discovery, Properties, Uses
Silver is a metallic element that has several uses. In this lesson, we will learn about its discovery and use by our ancient ancestors, its properties, and the common uses of silver.
6. What is Nickel? - Definition & Explanation
This lesson focuses on the element nickel. The location of nickel on the periodic table, its atomic structure, chemical, and physical properties are discussed in general terms. This lesson also includes selected applications for nickel that are significant to modern currency and manufacturing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements