About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about Group 12 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the group's elements, such as copernicium, zinc and cadmium. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing Group 12 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 12 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- The history, properties and uses of copernicium
- Zinc's properties, discovery and benefits
- The everyday and medicinal uses of zinc
- Facts about cadmium
- Zinc toxicity symptoms and deficiency
1. Copernicium: Discovery, Name & Properties
There's a whole list of elements that were created in a lab, and copernicium is on that list. While it often confusing to keep each of these man-made elements separate, copernicium has its own unique story. This lesson will explore its name, discovery and then look at a few of its properties.
2. Zinc: Uses in Everyday Life, Industry & Medicine
In this lesson, you will learn about the uses of zinc in everyday life, industry, and medicine. Some common uses of zinc compounds and zinc alloys are also discussed.
3. Zinc: Element Facts, Properties & Discovery
What do you know about the element zinc? In this lesson, we will discuss zinc's properties, where it comes from, historically where it came from, and even throw in a few fun facts about it.
4. What Is Zinc? - Benefits, Foods & Deficiency Symptoms
Zinc is a mineral that, while only needed in trace amounts, plays a vital role in human health. Learn about the benefits of consumption and drawbacks of deficiency while taking steps to ensure proper zinc intake.
5. Cadmium: Definition, Facts & Uses
Cadmium is a naturally occurring chemical element. It is used in a variety of applications including corrosion-resistant coatings, paint pigments, and rechargeable batteries. Although cadmium has been widely used in industrial applications for over 150 years, only recently was the toxicity of this element realized.
6. Zinc: Deficiency & Toxicity Symptoms
In this lesson, you'll learn about zinc, which is a trace mineral that is needed for a number of functions in your body. Learn how a zinc deficiency can negatively impact your health and impair your immune function. Also, learn about the signs and symptoms associated with zinc toxicity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements