About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering information about group 17 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the elements in group 17 of the periodic table. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing key concepts associated with group 17 of the periodic table
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the group 17 of the periodic table chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the chapter exam on group 17 of the periodic table to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about group 17 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- Facts about iodine and fluorine
- What fluorine and chlorine are used for
- The properties of chlorine and bromine
- The structure, properties and uses of astatine
1. Fluorine Element Facts: Lesson for Kids
Fluorine is a powerful element with amazing and unique properties. In this lesson, you will discover interesting facts about fluorine, including its discovery and how scientists identify fluorine.
2. Fluorine Lesson for Kids: What is it Used For?
There are dozens of elements on the periodic table, but what do they do for us in real life? Come and learn about how fluorine is used today and how it has been used in the past.
3. Uses of Chlorine: Lesson for Kids
This lesson will explore the various uses of chlorine, its importance and how it keeps us healthy. Continue reading to learn more about this unique and powerful chemical that you come in contact with daily.
4. Chlorine Lesson for Kids: Facts & Properties
Ever wonder why your eyes sometimes burn after you go swimming in a pool, but not after you take a bath? The answer is because of chlorine. Find out how this element was discovered, its characteristics, and what it's doing in our swimming pools.
5. Iodine Facts: Lesson for Kids
Iodine is an important mineral that your body needs to stay healthy. This lesson will teach you about how your body uses iodine, what foods have iodine in them, and some other interesting uses for this mineral.
6. Bromine Lesson for Kids: Facts, Properties & Uses
Bromine is an important element that serves many purposes to people today, like in developing photographs and cleaning swimming pools. In this lesson, you will learn about bromine's properties and how it is used.
7. Astatine Element: Structure, Uses & Properties
Astatine is one of the rarest elements on Earth; it decays, or breaks down, so quickly you can never really see it. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the element astatine and its uses and properties.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Chemistry for Kids course
- Atoms for Elementary School
- Elements for Elementary School
- Chemistry Basics for Elementary School
- Branches of Chemistry for Elementary School
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 2 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School
- F-Block Elements for Elementary School
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table for Elementary School