About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or reviewing information about Group 17 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about Group 17's elements, including tennessine, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the periodic table's Group 17 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 17 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- Facts about tennessine and its uses
- Flourine's properties and uses
- The properties, uses and formula of chlorine
- Facts about bromine's common uses
- Iodine's uses, sources, deficiency symptoms, toxicity symptoms and benefits
- The structure, properties and uses of astatine
1. Tennessine: Element Uses & Facts
Tennessine is a newly discovered element that was recently added to the periodic table. This lesson will share some information on how it was created and facts about this new element.
2. Fluorine: Facts, Properties & Uses
In this lesson, we'll learn about what the element fluorine is and what some of its properties are. We'll also go over historical and current uses for fluorine.
3. What is Chlorine? - Facts, Uses, Properties & Formula
In this lesson we will learn about chlorine - its history, function as a disinfectant, oxidizer, place in the periodic table and what it means for it to be a halogen.
4. What is Bromine? - Definition, Facts & Uses
Bromine is an active ingredient in pesticide spray, helping you to keep those annoying flies at bay. Let's learn more about bromine, its chemical properties, and its applications.
5. What is Iodine? - Uses, Sources, Benefits & Deficiency Symptoms
In this lesson, we will learn about iodine. We will learn how we get it in the diet, why it is important to the body, and what happens if we do not get enough iodine in our diets.
6. Astatine Element: Structure, Uses & Properties
Astatine is one of the rarest elements on Earth; it decays, or breaks down, so quickly you can never really see it. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the element astatine and its uses and properties.
7. Iodine: Deficiency & Toxicity Symptoms
Iodine is a trace mineral needed for the production of thyroid hormones. It's commonly found in iodized salt. Learn about conditions of iodine deficiency, such as a goiter and cretinism, as well as symptoms that come with excessive intake of iodine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements