About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or reviewing information about Group 3 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about all of Group 3's elements. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the periodic table's Group 3 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 3 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- The discovery, properties and common uses of actinium
- Lanthanum's discovery, uses and toxicity
- The everyday and medicinal uses of yttrium
- Yttrium's properties and classification
- The uses of scandium
1. Actinium: Element Discovery, Properties & Uses in Everyday Life
This lesson describes the discovery of the radioactive element actinium by Andre-Louis Debierne and Friedrich Oskar Giesel. Properties of actinium and uses of the element are also covered.
2. The Element Lanthanum: Uses, Toxicity & Discovery
This lesson is about the discovery of lanthanum by Carl Gustaf Mosander. The properties and toxicity of lanthanum, as well as the practical uses, are covered.
3. Yttrium: Uses in Medicine & Everyday Life
Yttrium is rarely heard of. But it has some very important uses, especially in medicine. Find out what this substance is and what it is used for in and outside of the medical field.
4. What is Yttrium? - Facts, Classification & Properties
In this lesson, you'll learn about a substance with a really odd name: yttrium. You'll learn who discovered it, where it can be found, and some important chemical and physical properties associated with it.
5. Scandium: Facts & Uses
Have you ever heard the words, 'we have lift off'? The first thing that might come to mind is an aircraft, and scandium plays an important role in this area. Read on to discover some more interesting facts about scandium that might surprise you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements