About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about Group 5 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about dubnium, niobium, tantalum and vanadium. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the periodic table's Group 5 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 5 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- The discovery and properties of dubnium
- Facts about niobium and its uses
- Tantalum's capacitors and jewelry uses
- The properties of tantalum
- Facts about vanadium's common uses and isotopes
- Vanadium's toxicity, proper dosage and medical uses
1. What is Dubnium? - Uses, Discovery & Properties
This lesson covers the discovery of the radioactive element dubnium by both Russia and United States scientists. The uses and properties of dubnium are also covered.
2. What is Niobium? - Uses, Information & Facts
This lesson is about the discovery and properties of niobium. Its various uses in everyday items such as jewelry, airplane parts and MRI machines will be examined. Read on to learn more facts and uses.
3. Tantalum: Capacitors, Jewelry & Other Uses
Tantalum is a transition metal that isn't as well-known as other transition metals, but has several common uses. In this lesson, we will discuss how tantalum is used and point out its industrial importance.
4. What is Tantalum? - Element Facts & Properties
The discovery of tantalum by Anders Gustav Ekeberg is described in this lesson. The properties of tantalum such as color, ductility, and melting point are also covered.
5. What is Vanadium? - Uses, Facts & Isotopes
The element vanadium is introduced in this lesson. The discovery of vanadium by Andres Manuel del Rio and Nil Gabriel Selfstrom, as well as its properties and uses, are also covered.
6. Vanadium: Medical Uses, Toxicity & Dosage
This lesson is about a little-known metal called vanadium. Although we know only a small amount about its potential biomedical effects, this lesson outlines vanadium's role in our bodies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements