About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or reviewing information about Group 9 of the periodic table will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the properties and uses of iridium, meitnerium, rhodium and cobalt. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the periodic table's Group 9 elements
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning chemistry (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Group 9 of the Periodic Table of Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any chemistry question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Group 9 of the periodic table for a standard chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- Iridium's discovery, uses and properties
- The uses and properties of meitnerium
- Rhodium's history, isotopes, catalysts and common uses
- Facts about cobalt's uses and properties
1. What is Iridium Used For?
As one of the rarest elements on Earth, iridium has properties that allow it to be used in a variety of different ways in our current world. This lesson explains some of the uses of this element.
2. Iridium: Element Discovery & Properties
This lesson describes the discovery of iridium by Smithson Tennant. The properties of iridium such as melting point, density, color, and resistance to corrosive materials are also covered.
3. What is Meitnerium? - Uses, Facts & Properties
This lesson explores the properties and uses of the element meitnerium. It also discusses the importance of observation and delves into the discovery and naming of this transition metal.
4. Rhodium: Jewelry, Catalysis & Other Uses
In this lesson you will learn about the element rhodium and its uses. The uses discussed include plating for jewelry, optics, catalysts in reactions, and potential cancer treatments.
5. What is Rhodium? - Facts, History & Isotopes
Rhodium probably isn't a household name, but it is one of the precious metals like gold and silver. This lesson will explore the history, isotopes, and some fun facts for this metal.
6. What is Cobalt? - Uses, Facts & Properties
When people hear the word cobalt, the first thing that comes to mind may be the small sedan once produced by Chevrolet. In fact, many people don't even know this is an element. Read on to learn some of the uses, facts, and properties of cobalt.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Periodic Table of Elements Study Guide course
- Group 1 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 3 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 4 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 5 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 6 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 7 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 8 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 10 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 11 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 12 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 13 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 14 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 15 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 16 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 17 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- Group 18 of the Periodic Table of Elements
- F-Block Elements of the Periodic Table of Elements