About This Chapter
Group Communication Skills in the Workplace - Chapter Summary
This chapter will enhance your group communication skills in the workplace. Take a look at strategies for effective listening in groups, barriers to effective listening, activities to promote group communication and more. After you finish this chapter, you should also be able to:
- Recognize what makes group communication ineffective
- Contrast formal communication networks and the 'grapevine'
- Explain nonverbal communication in groups
- Identify technologies for group communication and collaboration
- Discuss types of work teams, such as functional, cross-functional and self-directed
Each lesson comes with a quiz for assessing your comprehension of the material you just studied. You can also submit questions to our instructors. Follow along with the lesson transcript for a written version of each lesson.
1. Listening Effectively in Groups: Critical, Selective, Active & Empathetic Listening
Being an effective listener allows relationship building and leads to increased productivity in the workplace. To form an environment for effective listening, you need to know the best group sizes and the four types of effective listening.
2. Ineffective Group Communication in Groups
Ineffective group communication can dramatically impact the productivity and workplace success of a company. There are five factors that need to be addressed in order for groups to work together effectively.
3. Barriers to Effective Listening in Groups
Barriers to effective listening in groups can cause significant workplace issues. Selective listening and selective perception are two type of problems that can impede successful business decisions.
4. Formal Communication Networks vs. the Grapevine: Definition & Contrast
Formal communication networks consist of centralized and decentralized channels, while the grapevine is an informal network. In this lesson, you'll learn how most organizational communication happens using an informal network due to friends, usage and efficiency.
5. Understanding the Nonverbal Communication of Group Members
Nonverbal communication can be difficult to comprehend in group business environment. Subtle cues are often missed, which can easily have verbal messages misunderstood. There are five key functions of nonverbal communication that can help identify potential issues in communication.
6. Technologies for Group Communication and Collaboration: Groupware, Teleconferencing & Virtual Worlds
Technologies for group communication and collaboration allow intricate business relationships to exist and deliver productivity no matter where the employee is located. Groupware, teleconferencing and virtual worlds are three ways that technology is changing the face of the workplace.
7. Skills & Activities for Effective Group Communication
Communication is essential to a productive and harmonious work environment. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different skills and activities that can foster effective group communication.
8. Types of Work Teams: Functional, Cross-Functional & Self-Directed
Teams have become a popular way of organizing employees in organizations. This lesson identifies three different types of work teams: functional, cross-functional and self-directed teams.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards